Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mechanic told me that in older cars, he would use transmission fluid, along with engine oil to flush out the engine. He said that the addictives that they put in the tranny fluid helped flush out the engine better. He said he would let it run for about 10 minutes.

Please tell me this is not a correct way to do this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
that is deffinately not a way that i have heard....but then again when it comes to flushing out my radiator.....i dont mess around with that...the cooling system is one thing i stay away from...seen too many things happen with it....so im not too aware of it being done that way tho either..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A cap full of Dexron Transmission fluid via the spark plug chamber.

It will smoke like hell , but its supposedly going to clean the chamber.

I've never tried it ......but it "supposedly" works ...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
never heard that but if you are wanting to flush the oil then gunk makes a product just for that that looks like atf fluid almost...run for 5 min then do you oil change...when your old oil's coming out it looks quite nasty compared to my normal oil change not sure if it's actually cleaning or if it's just the additive looking like crap??? Oh well figure it's not going to hurt.

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
i used the gunk engine cleaner. it worked pretty good on my engine. but then again my engine is clean in the inside. its just hard keeping the outside clean. im not sure if i have a small leak or i just did a bad job cleaning the block when i sprayed it with carb cleaner

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
just use Honda Top End Cleaner. also with this as style teg said to check your spark plugs and 02 sensor since all the carbon being extracted from the engine could foul your plugs and o2 sensor

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I used seafoam stuff work like a charm! white smoke everywhere there was some nice carbon deposits on the ground after it was done as well.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I keep my cars in good condition where I don't have to add anything weird to it. Flush and fill every 2 years keeps the coolant green and fresh looking.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I don't think he meant the coolant system. I believe he was talking about carbon buildup. I personally use the cheap ATF fluid, because top end cleaner and seafoam work jus the same and I'm cheap. If you are doing it via a vacuum line there is a debate on where the best place to do it would be.

Here

Or here at the brake booster.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Ok yea, I saw flush and thought coolant. Either way consistant oil changes and a fuel system cleaner every so ofent would prevent having to use such harsh treatment.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I hade tyied that once because of a mech told me of the properties in the atf fluid would clean the deposits better than any additive. But Let me tell you, my car smoked for about an hour and did not like it at all. Even when it was ddone it still had a little smoke come out every now and then. That turned me off big time and don't think I'll try that agian. Just like Furious said, fuel system cleaner and change your oil reg is better than dealing with all that smoke, Trust me!!
It was alot.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright good. I'm keeping up on my maintance with oil changes and fuel cleaner every other oil change.

Thanks for clearing that for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts