Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
94Integra94 on Nov/16/02 said:
Will we ever be able to swap an RSX engine into our G3 Tegs? I know it is backwards but there's gotta be ways to getting around that?
If they did it in an old Civic hatch I'm sure they can do it in an Integra. For the motor and all the chasis modifications it will come out to about $10,000.

·
Registered
331 Posts
the article is from the new issue of honda tuning...if somebody really wanted to steal your car, you can't do anything about it!! that's the price you hafto pay when you drive a nice / high in demand car.

·
Registered
648 Posts
TOteg on Nov/17/02 said:
if somebody really wanted to steal your car, you can't do anything about it!! that's the price you hafto pay when you drive a nice / high in demand car.
Yep. If you REALLY want to avoid theft, here's how to completely eliminate any chance that you will ever experience auto theft: sell your Integra, and buy a Pontiac Aztec.

My boss drives a fairly new Chevy Cavalier that he got really cheap because of Arizona's idiotic alternative-fuel rebate a few years ago. He NEVER locks the doors, hoping someone will take it. Even though Phoenix has the highest auto theft rate in the country, no one wants that car...

·
Registered
944 Posts
all he should do is slap some momo, recaro and nos stickers on it and add a fart can muffler and someone will steal it! hey might as well the insurance will cover it and it can be something to laugh at during lunch......oh and if you intend on saying I am a moron...its 2:43am and I am tired as hell....so leave me and my nonsense post alone!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Unfortunately, those in black hats can get around anything. In this case, all that they have to do is plug in their own ECU which has the immobiliser disabled, or that they know the immobiliser code to. I'm sure there's also plenty of other ways around it. I don't know about Honda/Acura, but some key "transponders" are no more than a resistor of a certain value in the key, which is obviously very easy to get around.

No matter what you do to secure the car, there is a way around it. The best you can do is throw one surprise after another at the theives. They'll come to the car with everything planned out, so you need to give them obstacles that they wont have time to figure out when they're trying to take the car. They'll likely figure out how to get around that particular obstacle and may come back before you even know about the first attempt, so that's why you need to have other things in place. For best results, they should be things that the thieves wont even find out about until it actually causes a problem for them. They'll plan around every problem that they know about and will likely get around all of those obstacles on their next attempt, so you want them to be continously running into new, unexpected, problems. Several failed attempts can make them give up, get caught, or have someone see them.

Layered security is a good idea, but you don't want all of you car's protection to be visible. Visible anti-theft measures can be a deterrent, but if the thieves decide they want the car, they'll just know what they're up against and plan around them. And don't park in a place where they can scope out your car, work on breaking in, easily tow it, etc.

The possibility of them just towing the car is probably the worst, and I don't really know if there's a good way to protect against that other than deterrents such as bright lights, video cameras, and a hard to disable loud ass alarm (ie makes lots of noise before they can disable it). They don't neccessarily need a tow truck, so you're still vulnerable even if you park where a tow truck couldn't get to.

I posted about how many thieves actually operate a while ago. Anyone who's looking to secure their car might want to do a search for it... (Topic was "FYI: Thieves").

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
surferx: you have any more pics of that hatch? i just want to see the engine bay from different angles to see how it all fits in there. also what site you got them from? thanks.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
dwolsten on Nov/16/02 said:
Quote: TOteg on Nov/17/02if somebody really wanted to steal your car, you can't do anything about it!! that's the price you hafto pay when you drive a nice / high in demand car. Yep. If you REALLY want to avoid theft, here's how to completely eliminate any chance that you will ever experience auto theft: sell your Integra, and buy a Pontiac Aztec.

My boss drives a fairly new Chevy Cavalier that he got really cheap because of Arizona's idiotic alternative-fuel rebate a few years ago. He NEVER locks the doors, hoping someone will take it. Even though Phoenix has the highest auto theft rate in the country, no one wants that car...
Just out of curiosity what is this so called fuel rebate you speak of?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
96dc2 on Nov/17/02 said:
surferx: you have any more pics of that hatch? i just want to see the engine bay from different angles to see how it all fits in there. also what site you got them from? thanks.
That's the only one I've seen of it. Maybe email some of the people at Area51, they did the swap so maybe they have more pics of it.

http://www.area51fab.com/

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It seems like I recall the fact that the immobilizer equipped cars come with a "learning" key (it's red) that is used to program new keys to the ECU...MAKE SURE you keep that learning key out of the car...plenty of people leave it in the glove box. With that key and the ECU, you could be programming keys all day long to the ECU

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I didn't get any sort of red key with my Acuras and they both had the key immobilizer feature. I got two regular keys and a valet key which doesn't open the glove box. There were no other special keys.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quote: I didn't get any sort of red key with my Acuras and they both had the key immobilizer feature. I got two regular keys and a valet key which doesn't open the glove box. There were no other special keys.[/QUOTE]
Same here.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
SurferX on Nov/18/02 said:
I didn't get any sort of red key with my Acuras and they both had the key immobilizer feature. I got two regular keys and a valet key which doesn't open the glove box. There were no other special keys.
I stand corrected. My father's RL came with a key in the glove box that looks just like the black immobilizer key, except it's red, has an Acura logo on it, and it's in a little plastic blister pack.

In the manual, there are instructions for programming new keys. I figured all the immobilizer Acuras were the same, but I found out not.

I just called my dealer and they confirmed...the cars no longer come with the key. The dealer programs them for you. He said that Honda didn't want drivers self-programming new keys, so they leave it up to the dealers now. He said all the immobilized cars before 2000 model year (which would be later model NSX, TL, RL, and CL models, but not the Integra) had the learning key and afterward, they didn't.

My bad guys! Sorry for the confusion. Interesting to learn, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
curious, if it takes a special chip to get the ecu to start working again. And the correct computer wasn't in the right car anyway. So I'm assuming that the correct ecu wasn't available in the first place. So looking at everything, obviously the ecu is theft proof because you couldn't get it out for the engine swap.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts