Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

let's say I don't have enough money to get a Type-S, even though it's just a few thousand more and would only take a few more months to save, ect. Let's say I got an RSX. I was reading online that the Type-S and the base have the same engine, except the type-s is obviously tuned differently or something's done to it to give it that extra 40 horses of 200. I know the tranny is different, being 6 speed. but what can one do with his base to get it up there with the type-s? I know of intake, headers, and exhaust.. that kind of stuff. But what about the engine work that makes the two different? What would need ot be done to bring it up significantly? Thanks yall!!

John

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well don't buy a base to turn it into a type S...it's going to take some money to get it on the same exact performance levels in terms of acceleration and power output.

The motors are completely different...it's not the tuning. The type S and R motor are basically tuned different...everything is the same except for the bolt ons, slightly more duration on the cams + ecu tuning.

The 6spd tranny swaps onto a base k20a3 motor. But getting a base K20a3 motor to get ~170 whp which is about what the stock k20a2 (type-S) pumps out is going to cost some $$$. The motors aren't just tuned different.

MAIN differences between a Type-S and base motor.

-High end VTEC crossover vs the 2200 rpm cross over to save gas in the base.
-VTEC on both intake and exhaust cam vs just the intake cam.
-11:1 compression vs 9.8:1
-Higher flowing head
-Stronger bottom end for higher revs
-Balanced crankshaft vs base which uses balance shafts
-Different ecu/computer settings (obivously)
-Alumium oilpan that reinforces the block for rigidity vs base standard honda oil pan.

Those are just some of the internal differences.

As for the bolt ons...

-Intakes I believe are the same...just the tube that connects them to the throttle body is a different diameter becaues of the TB size difference...not 100% but i think that's correct.
-Intake manifold on the Type-S is a singal runner alumium manifold like the Type-R...more for high rpm power. Base is a dual runner plastic manifold like the DC2 GSR...excelent lowend and midrange with descent top end.
-Throttle body on the base is slightly smaller
-Header/downpipe are more free flowing on the S.
-Cat. converter i believe are the same.
*Note*: The Type-S header, downpipe and cat = longer then base header,downpipe and cat. SO if you want to run a type S exhaust you have to have the whole header/dp/cat section from a type S or vice versa. The type S catback is shorter then the base since the other pieces are longer. Base exhaust is longer because the header,dp,cat = shorter.

Basically no mixing and matching on the two trim levels unless you either A) want to swap everything over, or B) have your exhaust custom welded up to the right length.

Type S header and intake manifold will bolt up to a k20a3 head...unlike B-series where all the intake manifolds weren't swapable. GSR manifold could go only on a GSR, ITR on a ITR, etc etc.

-Catback on the Type S = 2'' Base = 1.75'' 05+ Type-S = 2.25''

If you want to know about other differences in other areas of the car, let me know.

Base RSX is a great car but if you feel that you just want to get it to the level of performance of a type S, might as well just wait and get the S.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just wait a little longer and save until you can get the type-s. It is a much better move because at type-s will hold its value much longer then a base.. look at how GSR's hold their value compared to LS's..

The type-s is so much better then the base with the a3 engine. I have ridden in both a lot and the Type-s is simply amazing... the a3 is just weak

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you care tht much about going fast and ****, then dont waste your money on the base, get the type-s. personally, i didnt care too much for speed, minly looks thats why i bought a base. but to me, type-s or not, i love my RSX and am very happy with it. in fact i'm gonna go wash it right now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
DC5_Tuner : I thought u can put a Type S after market exhaust on the base w/ just an adapter, since the S is shorter than the base, correct me if i'm wrong.

To all the Base owners: Just like u guys, i'm happy w/ my base model, unlike Mike6699, i don't get my baby get dirty and then wash her. j/k

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I was thinking of doing this but thought id be cheaper to either SC my car or full on engine swap.

·
Registered
623 Posts
sneekydc5 on Mar/20/06 said:
so what do i have to do to make my base a little faster...
Pretty obvious...I/H/E simple bolt ons and then if you really want more power...you either go NA route or Turbo route....each of which cost some serious coin...and also yield completely differant power gains...articlescover all of this

·
Registered
745 Posts
LNguyen on Feb/14/06 said:
DC5_Tuner : I thought u can put a Type S after market exhaust on the base w/ just an adapter, since the S is shorter than the base, correct me if i'm wrong.

To all the Base owners: Just like u guys, i'm happy w/ my base model, unlike Mike6699, i don't get my baby get dirty and then wash her. j/k
There's an adapter out there for base's to accept Type-S catbacks.

It's best to just get a Type-S header combo and get a Type-S catback all at once to get the most out of the car and have the least hassle + save a lil money in the long run.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
yea if you want I got a TypeS cat back Stock exhaust. If you get a DCRH then it should give you some nice gains.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.