Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! This if my first post here but I have been a long time lurker.

I have a 1996 auto LS. I replaced a stuck open thermostat today using the tips posted by MorningZ here: G3 Thermostat Replacement - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

It had probably had been stuck open for a few months but I didn't notice until the temperatures dropped (North Carolina) and it took me another few weeks to actually change it out. It was running fine except for a slightly high idle of around 1,300 (I presumed this was because it was running in cold engine mode as the engine block wasn't getting to heat up to a good operating temp).

So anyways I took off the air filter, rubber intake tube, and distributor cap to get a better angle at removing the thermostat. I also drained out the coolant through the bottom valve.

I replaced the thermostat and put everything back to together, filled the radiator with new 50/50 green autozone coolant and started her up. For about 20 seconds everything was going fine and I was topping off the radiator. Right about when it was seemingly full the engine started jumping from 1500 rpm to 2200, then dropping down to 1500 fast before shooting back up to 2200 rpm. This cycle keeps repeating and I also notice what seems like water coming out of the exhaust pipe when it surges. If I place my foot lightly on the gas it will run steadily at about 2k.

I changed out the distributor cap as i had noticed a bit of corrosion but it is still doing the exact same thing. It's dark outside now so I can't do a triple check to make sure I attached everything properly or didn't knock something loose.

Here's a video I took showing the RPM searching:

If anyone has any suggestions of what to check/clean/replace it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more details:

It's a $10 autozone thermostat- the type that is supposed to fail open.

If I put the car in drive it runs normal and steadily stays at right above 1,000 rpm at idle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but I will take it off and make sure that it has a good connection tomorrow. I can also test it with a multimeter to make sure that some wire didn't break somewhere. It was kinda rough getting my sock wrench in a good position to take those 2 bolts off.

I should also add that the car is completely stock except for a K&N air filter (drop in replacement for factory- still in airbox and all).

·
The Enforcer!
5,802 Posts
i remembering having the same issue. with my car i needed a new gasket for the intake manifold, in other words i had a vacuum leak. you may be experiencing the same thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I did a lot of searching and found the problem! I had the cabin controls set all the way to cold. So I set the slider all the way to hot and opened the radiator cap. When I started the engine I immediately heard the sound of air rushing into the radiator and it idled perfectly! I topped it off with some 50/50 coolant and took her for a test ride. Everything is working splendidly! It feels like a brand new car. I forgot that it was capable of shifting without a huge clunk and it idles beautifully at 750 rpm. It seems that lots of searching the forums, googling, and youtubing can yield the answer to your problem- or in my case, the rules of bleeding the cooling system properly after filling. Thanks for your replies and the community for a fantastic website.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I need to remember to try this when I have time. My car does something similar to what yours does, but only when fully warmed up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a lot of searching and found the problem! I had the cabin controls set all the way to cold. So I set the slider all the way to hot and opened the radiator cap. When I started the engine I immediately heard the sound of air rushing into the radiator and it idled perfectly! I topped it off with some 50/50 coolant and took her for a test ride. Everything is working splendidly! It feels like a brand new car. I forgot that it was capable of shifting without a huge clunk and it idles beautifully at 750 rpm. It seems that lots of searching the forums, googling, and youtubing can yield the answer to your problem- or in my case, the rules of bleeding the cooling system properly after filling. Thanks for your replies and the community for a fantastic website.
Cabin control? Slider? What is that. I’m having the same issue.
How’s you adjust cabin control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts