Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my engine within the next month. I'm having it ported and polished. Is there anything else I should do to it besides a port and polish while I have my engine out? I'm also planning on buying a Skunk 2 Intake Manifold and bore out my throttle body to 64mm. I'm not planning on Turbo/Supercharging it. N/A and maybe Nitrous. I'm still undecided! Let me know what you guys think? Thank you in advance for your expertise!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the whole planning thing centers around 3 items:

your power goal, how broad you want the powerband to be, and where along the rpm range you want the most gains (powerband location).

to work with a headporter properly you must know these ahead of time. You then determine the redline and cam you need for that goal. The headporter only takes off enough material in the port opening, port runner, short turn radius and in some shops, around the valve guides to get you enough flow capacity to gain the power goal you want. They also shape the ports so that the flow maintains a good laminar quality to prevent the fuel from separating out of the air fuel mixture as it enters the combustion chamber. They then do the valve seat angles and polish the bowl and blend the bowl shape into the valve seat angles. They base how much to take off on where your powerband gains should be and your cam specs/redline. The displacement and rod ratio are already fixed.

The cam's intake ABDC valve closing point spec tells you whether you need a higher CR or not. If you are going to use a long duration, late opening cam you have to calculate how much CR you will need. If you do a search using the term "dynamic CR" there is a thread I posted over at the MD's Tech Corner here with a link to the website that can calculate the static CR you need. You should tell the headporter your final static CR you plan to run.

If you are running nitrous then the headporter has to know that and how much you plan to use. Again, the amount of material he removes, especially on the exhaust side depends on that info. You have to be precise here. You can't waffle around and say well maybe I'll add it later or maybe not. He can't make you the gains you want in the places you want without you nailing down some decisions...otherwise you will be getting a one-size-fits-all generic headporting job...not one custom- fitted one for YOU.

So while the head is off, you may need or want to swap the pistons out for a higher CR. You will need to hone the cylinder walls before adding new pistons to ensure the walls are straight and surfaced correctly for a good piston ring seal.

If your cams don't require a change in pistons for a higher static CR, then just replace the head gasket and head bolts with new ones. You may also want to get a new timing belt (and if you are at the correct maintenance schedule point, a new water pump...see your owner's manual ).

you may want to swap out your motor mounts for lubricated polyurethane ones to prevent wheel hop from the extra torque you will be getting (warn you ahead of time: the steering wheel will shake at idle with these mounts).

So it looks like you have some thinking to do before you proceed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts