Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to change the size of your exhaust pipping for a turbo or could you leave it at what you have it because I have 2.25" pipping and I was wondering if I would have to change it to 2.5".

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
yes. depending on what kind of boost you're running, you might be able to get away with a 2.5" OD piping. but what i've gathered from MD's exhaust articles is that for FI applications for big power, you want a 3" OD piping...

i'd just like to add that you would have to resize the cat and the muffler as well. you wouldn't want any bottlenecks in your exhaust system now, would you?

·
Registered
693 Posts
oNCE AND FOR ALL !! YOU DO NO WANT OR NEED 3" EXHAUST FOR A TURBO RUNNING UNDER 15 PSI ! PERIOD THIS IS A MYTH REPEAT MYTH ! AGAIN : YOU DO NO WANT OR NEED 3" EXHAUST FOR A TURBO RUNNING UNDER 15 PSI ! NO-DIS RESPECT MD BUT THIS IS A MYTH !

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
dude... i have read your previous posts already and i see your point. note that i said "depending on what kind of boost you're running." whether it's 15 or 12 psi, i can't say for sure. i'm not an FI expert. you seem to be one. i guess you go with 2.75" if you're running less than 15 psi. i believe you.

·
Super Moderator
14,179 Posts
It depends on how much power you looking to put

good info

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
True, a 2.5" exhaust is only good up to 225whp, after that it will start choking off power. The only 2.75" exhaust is the Kakimoto R however has non straight-through resonators blocking the airflow so unless you modify it, it isn't a very good choice to go with. A 3" exhaust would be your next best thing, if you plan to make more than 220whp and don't want to go custom with a 2.75" system.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This is specific to NA type setups...These ratios MD speaks of...

Turbos have alot to do with exhaust we all know that the exhaust gases drive the turbo. Most people think "Bigger is Better" we already know that's a myth ! Unless your pushing 275-300+ kind of power which means 15psi or more, a 3" will actually hurt you in your low end...Even if your laying this kind of power down it's not some HUGE OMG increase in HP ! once again MYTH ! The exhaust needs to be pushed out right...What do you think does that ? PRESSURE ! PSI ! If there is not alot pushing guess what ? It's like a sailboat with no wind...

Yank your CAT and even worse ! No CAT and 2.5 ! Ahhh now your talking ! But there really is a lot of varibles here if ya wanna break it down...Turbo size ? Flow ? etc. etc. etc. I am kinda talking to those guys who go out and buy a kit and think "Oh I need a 3" exhaust cause it's bigger or because I read it on a forum....WRoNG ! Make sure you have the power to back it up and to push that exhaust...Ya know what kinda cars can stand a 3" ? Supras, RX7's WRX's high Turboed/PSI cars...Ya know who makes a 3" for us ? Hardly (Thermal)anyone...Wanna know why....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts