Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on putting together a new suspension setup, and I have a few questions I haven't been able to clear up (even with the search function). I'm under the impression that the Koni yellows are 22mm shorter than the stock shocks, but when I put on springs that drop my car further, does that 22mm shorter shock factor in, or does it have no effect? I have a crappy driveway here at college, so I can't deal with too agressive a drop or I'll grind off my lip. I'm thinking H&R Sports with the yellows, but could I get the Ground Controls and potentially have no drop for a year (even with the shorter shock), then crank it down once I get a new place?

Also, entertaining a different solution, I'm talking to another TI-er about buying his ITR springs/shocks and LCA's for my '99 GS. This would be a whole lot cheaper, but how agressive is the ITR suspension when compared to an aftermarket setup? I know this is a dumb question, but how much difference am I really going to see during daily driving (I'm pushing the limits of my GS suspension now). Any insight to make my decision easier would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. First post; hope I did it right.
P.P.S. If anyone has a favorite paint shop in Seattle, pm me (some jackass adjusted my mirror with a baseball bat).

·
Registered
448 Posts
its all in the spring rate.

I am faced with the same question in that i just ordered some lowering springs - TEIN STech - but these are the closest you can get to a stock rate.

Search the previous forums or common topics, i know this has been covered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense, but that REALLY doesn't answer my question. I asked a pretty specific one: will the shorter shock have any effect on the overall drop of a car, or is it entirely spring dependent?

·
Registered
680 Posts
that isnt going to have any effect on your ride height unless you already have lowering springs and you are going from stock size to shorter but even then the difference is not really noticable

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
You do pose an interesting question that I haven't thought of...does the shorter shock reduce ride height? If I had to guess I would say that it does, but I'm not sure on that.

I don't know enough about shock geometery and how everything actually works down there to know the answer...I bet someone who has actually done a spring/shock install would be able to help out here...I'll try and look around and see if I can figure it out.

I've heard that the Neuspeed Koni Yellows are 20mm shorter than the regular off the shelf Yellows...so what you are saying is that the Neuspeed Yellows would be 42mm shorter than stock?

As for your question on the Type R suspension...
here is some great information on it. I'm not sure how ITR shocks compare to aftermarket..but I can assure you, they are not in the same category as the Koni Yellows.

And...welcome to Team Integra! Great first post, it's really nice to see new members actually reading the site guidelines and following them, I thank you.

Mike

·
Registered
715 Posts
As I understand it, shorter shocks don't affect the ride height. Ride height is based solely on the spring. I just put on some H&R OEs on stock shocks which have a more aggressive drop than the type R setup and the ride height is IMO perfect. And btw there's a big difference between the Type R setup and the H&R Sports. Type R is .5" about and the sports are over an inch. You seem like you want my suspension lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
if the shock is shorter, yes, your car will be lower...I have a set of H&R coilovers and the rear shocks are substantially shorter than stock, when my car is lifted up, the wheel gap is still about 3 fingers worth. The shorter shock definetely helps with handling though - I've actually had problems with topping out rather than bottoming out

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
The Nuespeed Koni Yellows are not 22mm shorter. They have 22mm cut off the bottom of the piston inside the shock body for more travel than the standard Koni. This was intended for their race spring. So they don't bottom out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you saying that the Koni shock body itself is still shorter than stock on the original Koni's, or is that 22mm also just a piston difference? If it just equates to travel and not ride height, then I could get the GC's and Koni's and have a true zero to 3 (or four?? I forget) inch drop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts