Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some random Auto LS pull up to me on the street and putting his car in Nuetral and reving while his car is still moving...

Is this bad for your car?

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
not the reving itselfBUT if he puts it into gear while the revs are still up there(known as a neutral drop) its horrible and killer to the tranny

EDIT:brian kinda beat me

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think he means going like 45 or something next to him and slapping it in neutral (maybe he has an exhaust) revving it up, then putting it back into gear while still going 45 or so...

A neutral drop can't be done while you're moving can it? It probably can but it won't be as bad as doing it from a stop.

Corrections are accepted.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
hhhmm didnt look at it like that.

you can still drop it though while moving, if your driving at 3,500 and rev up to 6000 then put it back it still wouldn't be good. You may be right about it not being as bad..either way I'm not gonna check and find out

·
Registered
655 Posts
being the auto driver I am (damnit) I rev along with my friends at lights and when we meet up and stuff... just for fun... kinda hypes us up. Like little girls when they run around and scream... we rev our engines. Heh heh. Anyway, yea neutral drops as everyone knows are bad. If at a stop you let it idle (750-1200) and put it back in gear you should be fine, but while in motion I don't see how that could be good.

When you're in motion and you're going say 65. Auto is in 4th gear at around 2500 (I dunno, I guess I never really paid attention). Anyhoo. You put it in neutral. Well if this was a stick (clutch in/stick in middle)... you could put it back into gear accordingly for the speed, in this case 5th. If you were going 20 probably 2nd or 3rd. An auto I don't THINK would know what "gear" to go back into upon shifting back to D4. Would it?

I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense... if the auto is put in neutral and then back in D4 while in motion would it go to the gear according to speed? The last gear it was in? What? This is the only reason my teg sucks... and I would not recommend the above behaviors to any of my fellow auto brothers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It will put it back into 4th gear, no doubt. I'm sure the ECU feeds the tranny a signal as to how fast the car is traveling. I'm sure it wouldn't put it back into anything besides 4th if you're going 65.

I used to have an auto, and I would coast down big hills in neutral and it would go back into the highest gear every single time I flipped it back...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yeah it if you do what he said, then put it back in gear, it goes into 4th gear ASAP, it doenst drop into 1st or anything, the ECU fiqures it out, speed and rpm = gear and it does that, ive done it before and it doesnt seem to do much when i put it back in gear at idle, but i know its bad so i dont do it

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'm not sure where I've heard this, and maybe it's bull, but I've heard that reving an auto is bad: something about heating up the torque converter or something like that. NOt sure, though.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Another reason clutch>auto every time, you can idle you're engine and rev it at any speed ;-p

·
Registered
302 Posts
roundle on Sep/15/02 said:
I'm not sure where I've heard this, and maybe it's bull, but I've heard that reving an auto is bad: something about heating up the torque converter or something like that. NOt sure, though.
only if you hold the brake and rev...this isent really good if you do it all the time since it works more on a centrifical clutch type thing instead of a peadal (at least that is how i understand it).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ya it should be ok. ive done it a few times while moving, put it in neutral, rev it, of course let it go back down to idle, then put it in gear again. it does it pretty smoothly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
in my old car i used to do all sorts of stuff like this. i'd rev it from a stop and then drop it into L (first). that was the only way i could peel out in my '91 corolla. also, i'd take it out of gear while moving, rev, and put it back into gear. haha...this is the worst one: one time i was driving and this stupid girl put it into reverse while i was going forward. the car just shut itself down immediately. people say that all these things are really bad for your transmission and i was always hoping mine would fall apart so i could get a new car. however, i beat on that thing for a year and the transmission still works the same. i'd still never do this stuff in a car that had value though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts