Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace a slightly leaky oil pan gasket on a 96 GSR with roughly 122k miles... do you guys have any recommendations on what other maintenance I should plan on doing with this? Also, any tips for the job would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would recommend cleaning everything with brake cleaner like a boss then installing a Honda OEM oil pan gasket with a little Permatex Ultra Gray RTV (sparingly at the seams only) finishing with a calibrated 1/4" torque wrench. Over-tightening or unequal tightening is the most common cause for leaks after a 10+ year old dried up gasket. Conversion: 8.7 ft-lb = 104.5 in-lb. Follow the bolt pattern below for tightening in sequence--finger-snug first, torque wrench-tight second. In the unlikely event that you have something wrong with your oil pump, now would be the time to replace or rebuild it. Also, check the pick up screen for debris and clean it if necessary.

Fel Pro makes a standard blue gasket that I did not have good luck with (lasted 3 months before leaking and having to be replaced). I replaced with OEM and not one drop has leaked since (6 years ago). I recently bought Fel Pro's new "improved" design (with a metal layer sandwiched in, but haven't tried it yet.

Final tip for others reading this in the future: try pouring Sea Foam (or your favorite automotive oil-approved thinning/cleaning agent) into oil filler a couple of days before you begin this type of work. When heated, mixed, and run through the engine, it fluffs up all the crap that's been lodging itself in the seams so when you drain the hot oil, the crap comes out with it. Only drive it for a couple of days like this. Once you Sea Foam the oil, you have committed to changing it. Everything should look very clean when you drop the pan.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Nothing other than getting new exhaust gaskets since you have to drop the exhaust pipe to lower the oil pan.

anything else is going to be a lot longer of a job. oil pump or front crank seal is at the end of doing a timing belt job. Rear main seal, you need to remove the transmission.

MyHondaHabit makes an oil pan gasket, but I have no personal experience with them. OEM gaskets leak if not done exactly as service manual states. Right sequence and torque specs are important.

As far as maintenance goes, If you don't know any of its history, I would do a T/B and W/P job, thermostat, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor oring. Drain and fill the trans, and all new Honda coolant. Maybe drain and fill the power steering fluid with OEM Honda fluid.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i did mine with felpro perma dry 2 months ago, not a single drop, if done right mostly any gasket should hold, use a little rtv or honda bond where the oil pump meets the block and on the transmission side union as well, there are plenty of videos very well explained in case you need to

1 - 4 of 4 Posts