Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it cost for tranny replacement? JDM, used, anything. I believe it's my tranny. First, it seems to have trouble shifting unless I push the pedal all the way down, and even then sometimes it won't let me put it into gear. Also, it seems like the clutch doesn't want to engage. I depress the clutch all the way down and the clutch seems to be still engaged? Is that a clutch (master slave cylinder) problem or other tranny problem.

Mechanics pls help. Thx.

·
Registered
280 Posts
it could be a few problems but dont worry its not the whole tranny if you dont hear or feal any grinding. it is posibly your clutch master cylinder or you need an adjustment for the linkage for your shifter or you need a new presure plate or that little y piece that engages the clutch(sorry i cant think of the name). But its some thing you have to have some one look at im not sure many of us can just tell you your problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
i burned out my transmission last year, a 98 gs. long story how i managed to do that in an auto....
anyway, it would have been $2600 at the acura dealership if it weren't still under warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Idoubt if its your tranny, if you are running a stock clutch and have been doing alot of hard driving it tends to wear out the springs in the friction disc. not allowing for a good release. Mine got so bad one of the springs fell out and I couldn't shift at all, try limpin' that one to the garage. It very well could be a slave or master cylinder. Have you checked the fliud level or tried to adjust the cable ( depends on gen )

·
Registered
200 Posts
topic title says gen 3.

flush/bleed the line and adjust the engagement point (at the pedal). that should help. dont think it's the tranny

Quote: Also, it seems like the clutch doesn't want to engage. I depress the clutch all the way down and the clutch seems to be still engaged? [/quote]
wait, so does it not want to engage/grab or disengage/release?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the quick response guys.

Here's the situation. Sorry for the confusion. The clutch grabs and doesn't want to let go (release), even with the pedal all the way down. It's very hard to enter a gear, even with the pedal all the way down. However, a couple of time, what worked was pushing the pedal down really fast and hard. Also, a couple times I pumped the clutch a couple of times and seemed to work. When in gear, with the clutch pedal all the way down it seems to still grab, like as if I hadn't stepped on the clutch.

Also, how much do you guys think this is going to cost. I was planning a GSR swap. If this will cost more then $1k, then I'm doing the GSR swap now instead of waiting. By the way what is the master and slave cylinders? Is that part of the powertrain that will get replaced with the GSR swap or is that part of the chassis that I'm going to have to fix anyways?

Thx again for the info.

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
That does NOT sound like a tranny problem. The problem is in your clutch mechanism. I had similar problems with mine.

Does it behave any differently when it's running as compared to when the engine's off? If the pedal behaves differently between running and the engine being off, it's likely mechanical--not hydraulic.

How does the pedal feel? Does it feel mushy at all? If it's mushy at all, it COULD be the hydro system.

Do you feel any pulsations or vibrations in the clutch pedal with the car running that you didn't feel before?
If you feel pulsations, it's something mechanical in the clutch assembly.

Your first plan of attack should be to check and bleed your hydraulic system. Bleeding can take a while to do right. If you do it, make sure you do it right! Check for external leaks. If your Master Cylinder or Slave are leaking, replace them.

If you're STILL stumped on this problem, take it to a mechanic, or even to Acura. The dealership here will diagnose any problem for like $75. I know it sounds like a lot, but it COULD save you a lot of time and money. I know if I'd taken mine to them, I would've avoided buying a CMC and slave that I didn't need and could've avoided spending HOURS bleeding a hydro system that didn't have any problems. Also, when you go talk to a mechanic (or anyone else, for that matter), you need to tell them EVERYTHING...even if it seems trivial. It may give them insight into the problem's source.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx everyone for your help and suggestions. c_rock77, I will see how it shifts with the engine off, then take it to a mechanic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts