Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to remove spray paint from a wheel yet leave the oem paint/clearcoat in tact under it? i used the tamiya model spray paint in a can.. i believe its acrylic.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Edited by jojo at 02/25/2004 12:55:31 AM
Try lacquer thinner on the inside of the wheel to test it. It drys very fast so as long as you wipe on wipe off you should be ok.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya i think ill try the claybar (tho i dont know how that would help- doesnt it only remove surface spikes and bits?), white polish, red rubbing compound.. lacquer thinner..

why lacquer thinner over other types of thinners tho?

·
Registered
463 Posts
You might want to try denatured alcohol. It may take off the acrylic without affecting the clear coat. I know denatured alcohol will not damage (powdercoat) clear coats.

Try on an inconspicuous spot of the wheel first.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is denatured alcohol and where can i find it?

k looks like its a woodworking type of agent i can find at homedepot or something..

·
Registered
463 Posts
It's a cleaning solvent and it can be found at Home Depot. I'm not 100% sure it will remove the acrylic, but it's much safer than acetone, thinner, or paint stripper.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive been using the brown rubbing compound followed by the white polishing compound, but its a very lengthy and time consuming process. im just gonna repaint the suckers later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts