Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone could help me w/ my delimma I would be very appritiative. I am considering removing the power steering pump,belt,all the lines, and of course the fluid from the system. The benifits would be a little weight savings, and a little hp. What i would like to know is if anyone else has done this w/ there teg, and if so are you happy w/ the results. Has anyone dynoed before and after? thank you.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes,there is another tread, I appologize, but I dont really care about having to strongarm the steering wheel, I just want to know if anyone has any whp info, or even e.t. experience w/ this setup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
my friend has a gs-r engine in his civic without power steering, it's a minimal difference and steering isn't much more difficult. he's really happy with it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your replies. Im going to try it. I dont have a dyno available to me right now, but i run at the track on friday nights, I will let yall know if theres any e.t. improvement.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Its not like it makes the wheel impossible to turn, but it is kinda a pain everytime you go into 7 eleven that you gotta be usin both hands and at least some stregnth (more than you think) just to get into that parking spot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replacing it is easy theres easier ways to do it too

One of the easiest ways is the dc2 integras all came with power steering except for the RS model. this model comes with a rack and pinion thats sealed with no leaks and uses gear lube instead of p/s fluid saving you money in the long run of exchanging those fluids. then all you do is yank the rest of the crap out and throw it in a junk pile. cuz if you cant handle turning an integra with no power steering. then idk what to tell you lol. its so easy. all it truly makes harder is texting while driving. haha

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
One of the easiest ways is the dc2 integras all came with power steering except for the RS model. this model comes with a rack and pinion thats sealed with no leaks and uses gear lube instead of p/s fluid saving you money in the long run of exchanging those fluids. then all you do is yank the rest of the crap out and throw it in a junk pile. cuz if you cant handle turning an integra with no power steering. then idk what to tell you lol. its so easy. all it truly makes harder is texting while driving. haha
Wrong.

All DC2 integras are power steering.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The po of my shell removed power steering and I love it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
With removal of PS i didn't noticed any hp gains or better performance I don't think its enough to notice it but im sure on dyno it would. But i sure do love it when im under the hood working on my timing belt or so and don't have to fuss with the PS bs stuff

·
Registered
37 Posts
i personally hate power steering, in a car that i drive "spiritedly" i wouldnt expect any huge gains in power removing it, but it definately frees up a small ammount of lost power. main reason i remove mine is because of how it feels when your on a nice a back road with some bends, you can actually feel the road and its a lot easier to tell when your tires are at their break loose point or when you have already passed the break lose point its easier to recover to where with some times with power steering in this situation some people tend to over correct

but the best way in my opinion to remove power steering is to take the the two lines that go into the rack (high pressure and low pressure) and loop them together while keeping as much fluid in the rack as possible. this is done by cutting the one hard line that goes into the rack and cutting the rubber hoes line that also goes into the rack and slipping that rubber hose over top of the hard line and tightening down with a hose clamp

it makes it alot easier to turn than slipping off the belt and its more effective to there is fluid constantly going through the rack so it does not wear it out. do not use gear fluid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
and yeah it does suck if your trying to parallel park or trying to turn going less than 2 mph but after a while your fore arms get a little work out and its nothing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts