Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was racing this car -(i wont go into too much details about the race since we are not allowed all u need to know is i drive a teg so GUESS WHO WoN HEHEH ok ill shush....) and i was so caught up in beating this car that i wasnt watching my rpm gauge while i was still in first gear. I think i went passed 7000 rpms because all of a sudden i heard a pause and then i quickly put it into second gear. DID I GO OVER RED LINE??? IS THAT BAD??? OR WAS THAT A RED LINE PAUSE??? WHAT WAS THAT NOISE??? Is there anything i can get for my car that will signal me that im already passed red line? Oh by the way i drive a 94 2door rs.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A shift light is not going to help if yu are not looking at the dash

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
rtzx9r on Aug/05/02 said:
Well, that's true...but you normally can see a change in light out of the corner of your eye better than following tach needle...correct?

I'm not saying she needs to get one, I just threw out a suggestion...let's keep suggestions in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
rtzx9r on Aug/05/02 said:
only if you have tunnel vision...you can see it out of the corner of your eye. But like the first post said, you probably hit the rev limiter. DO NOT make a habit of this.

If you hit it a lot, you will most likely have premature problems with your engine that can prove to be quite costly. Sorry for getting off topic, just giving you some advice.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Just shift when the valves begin to float... you should feel power fade long before your rev limiter kicks in. if this is too difficult, either stop racing or get yourself an automatic.

And no, touching redline for a second isn't going to hurt your car much. Although, I wouldn't make a habbit of it. Major damage occures when you miss a shift (say you want 4th but you hit 2nd instead).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah...don't worry about it. You just hit the redline and our cars have a rev limiter which means when you do that it quits giving the engine fuel.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
98Integra on Aug/05/02 said:
Yeah...don't worry about it. You just hit the redline and our cars have a rev limiter which means when you do that it quits giving the engine fuel.
I hope you didn't mean don't worry about hitting the rev limiter. Thats just dumb to bounce off of that all the time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i think he means he probly dident do anything just hitting it once...he dose not mean you can hit the revlimtor everytime you leave the drive way just don't worry your car is fine...you guys have to rember you are in an acura...these cars are made to rev like a mad f**ker

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Aug/05/02 said:
Quote: 98Integra on Aug/05/02

I hope you didn't mean don't worry about hitting the rev limiter. Thats just dumb to bounce off of that all the time.

i don't know why everybody's so afraid of that rev limiter... it's a fuel CUTOFF, not a fuel REDUCER. there's no "dangerous lean condition" if there's no gas at all. it missed opening an injector here or there, meaning no gas, no lean, no burn at all. if you think hitting the rev limiters are bad, then talk to the guys at hondata. they make stages that have 3 revlimiters, that are MADE to be put up against--one for launch, one for shifting, and one high rev limiter. through one drag race of launching and full-throttle-shifing, you'll hit the rev limiter more in one 1/4 mile run than most people hit the limiter in a month-or a lifetime.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
TeggyBear no you probably did absolutly nothing to your teg, but if you do it alot it will cause a problem.
When you hit the rev limiter it can also do alot to your bearings. the fact is it is bad and try not to do it as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
http://www.hondata.com/media.html

watch a couple of those videos, they're against that limiter more than anybody will ever do with a missed shift. and i'd still like somebody to explain this lean condition. it misses an injector firing. no gas, spark, no burn at all. lean is when there's not enough gas, not zero gas. with this logic, you'd probably freak out if you ever ran out of gas. and not to mention it's general practice when you do some engine work to take out the fuel pump fuse so it doesn't pump, so you can empty out the fuel lines to get started and not make a mess. how do you clear out the lines? run it till it dies. same thing as hitting the rev limiter--no gas, no burn, o lean, no detonation.
another point, if it was so bad, i'd have faith in honda engineers to figure out something else--like a retarded timing rev limiter that's found in a few domestics. there's got to be a method to their madness.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
You know what, I don't care if I get *****ed at by the mods or someone, I must say this: You're wrong.

Read this, it's not elaborated, but it's to the point by MD, one I would hardly argue or have a difference of opinion with.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=7399&SearchPagePosition=2&search=
Justin+Klemgold&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Author&forum=0&
searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search&ThreadPage=3

This was on page 2, notice the last line.

My fuel cut is 9300 rpm. My shift light is set for 8800 rpm...in the heat of battle you need 500 rpm buffer to react...the torque is trailing off by then anyway and I'm just wasting time after 8800 rpm. The JDM FD gets me into the powerband after a shift.

You go slower if you hit the fuel cut. The car stutters for a tenth or two and then drops the revs and you have to recover. By the time you shift after the fuel cut, your revs have dropped a lot. You shift and the revs fall out of the powerband. Now you have caught the next gear out of the powerband...you have to rev up to the powerband to get moving forward again faster...you are slower...big time...the 1/4 mile times drop off by 0.4-0.5 sec when people hit the fuel cut off. If you don't think there's much of a difference, consider how far you are behind someone if you ran 15.1 sec vs 14.6-14.7 sec. et.

Then there's the small matter of engine wear...wait until you have to pay the piper for bouncing off the fuel cut off a lot over the years...it ain't pretty....

Have fun getting your car fixed, hehe.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
yeah, "bouncing off the fuel cut off A LOT over THE YEARS"

if i'm not mistaken, i believe this thread was started by a guy that hit it once, missed a shift and whatnot, and asked if it was a big deal.
2 points--he discusses the lost time in a race more than anything, and the wear? OVER THE YEARS. the wear and tear would come more from simply having your rpms that high for a long time, not necessarily from the rev limiter. HENCE, the hondata guys sitting on the limiter constantly--the launch limiter set at 2500 or whatever.

i never said drive around in first gear whenever the speed limit is 35, so you can't go over 40, or driving only in second when the speed limit is 55 so you can't go over 60-something. i'm saying that it's not that big a deal to tap once in a while.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I believe the difference between the stock rev limiter, and the hondata rev limiter is how it is done.

This is what I found on a website describing aftermarket ignitions

Stock rev limiter, fuel doesn't shoot, spark plug still fires. What happens? no fuel, all air, spark plug fires, lean condition.

hondata rev limiter, spark plug misses a cycle and doesn't fire. No spark, no ignition, no burn, no damage.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
oh and by the way the honda engineers did create another device to prevent people from hitting the rev limiter. It is called the Redline. they put it there for a reason, and the fuel cutoff is there for those people who are careless or just dont care about astronomical levels of stress they put on their internals. that doesnt make it safe to hit, but its safer than the alternative.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Hitting the rev limiter/fuel cut off is no big deal, especially if you have a upgraded valvetrain like me...I sersiously doubt it creates a lean condition. All you are doing is putting more stress on the motor. These motors like to be rev'd HIGH. If people are so worried about red lining, then shift at 4000 and get a Yugo..Rev the hell out of the thing...Maintain your vehicle, and you'll be fine. My two cents!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
TeggyBear,

I own a 97' GS-R, when I race it, I always take it to the max in 1st & 2nd. The teg has a rev limiter for a reason, so I wouldn't worry about taking your gears too high. I haven't had any problems with my car yet, I don't think that I will have any in the near future either. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts