Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes in the higher rpm's it is hard to shift into second. I thought maybe changing my trany fluid would help. I was going to go with redline but I can't figure out what weight. I read the topic

here.

but i don't know what clutch and non-clutch cars are...i have a manual 94 ls...what weight should i use? do you think i should even change it? is there any risk? thank you so much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok i just ordered the fluid...i am not sure if it is right since no one said anything....i got redline MT-90...witch is a 75w90 gl/4...is this the right one or should i get a diffrent one? i do live where it dose get a little chilly if that matters...what could happen if i put the wrong sh*t in? thank you so much for dealing with all my dumb questions...mike d you would be esspisaly helpful here.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i had them change the oil to mtl synthetic transmision fluid...thats what i originaly thought i should get but they talked me out saying nothing existed so i got a product coad and had them order that

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So did you have it changed with RedLine MTF? Notice any changes?

I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again:

My first car (1979 BMW 528i 4spd) had well over 200K on it when I got it in 1996. The car was pretty mint, but it wouldn't downshift while the car was under way. I had to stop. Clutch a few times. Then start from 1st and work my way back up. Kind of annoying, but I got use to it... Anyway, after a few thousdand miles, on of my fellow employees at Bavarian Autosport gave me his leftover Redline MTF. At my next oil change, I had the grease monkey replace my MTF with the Redline...
To make along story short(er), after about 50 miles, I was able to downshift without the transmission grinding and screaming at me. I was psyched. ANyway, the transmission lasted another 30k before it was replaced with an updated Getrag.(which was amazing,considering the disrepair it was in).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i changed it out to redline mtl today...man it feels like a whole new tranny...i can down shift now into first with no problems plus reverse and first are 10x easyer...very very happy with it

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I did some more research and either one will work. MT-90 is just a higher viscosity version of MTL. Don't know why they aren't both called MTL - confusing. This is from a Red Line brochure: "Red Line MTL may be used in transmissions which recommend 75W or 80W GL-4 oils, ATF's, or SAE 30 or 5W/10W30 motor oils. If a 90W GL-4 or SAE 40 or 10W/40 is required, MT-90 may be used."
My '99 owners manual recommends genuine Honda MTF and says 10W/30 or 10W/40 motor oil may be used as a temporary replacement. Since you live in a colder area, the lighter viscosity MTL is probably a better choice.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Your not supposed to downshift to first. First gear is only when your taking off from a complete stop.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
You need to revmatch to get into 1st :)

Just rev up your engine and 1st should slide right in.

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I redlind it seems like I grind going into second. Do i have the same problem?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts