Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have been posting about, I have been having transmission problems. I finally pulled out my transmission by myself (with just a little help lowering the jack).

It was done over two days, mainly because I had some issues separating the lower ball joints. However, I am in debt to MR_GS-R who recommended to me the 1/2" ratchet trick to loosen them - it worked like a charm!

After removing the pressure plate, I found that it was in fact my clutch's friction disk that had broken. I was suprised to find that it was not actually the spring, but instead the housing around the springs that broke into pieces.

And this piece was completely broken off.

Here's another view.

The pressure plate seemed to look fine.

So now I need to replace it and need some help identifying the existing clutch and choosing a new one.

The person who it was purchased from stated the clutch was ACT, but not the model (this can be seen in the link in my signature).

However, I've only seen ACT clutches with yellow pressure plates. This would have been installed in mid-2005 according to my TI research. The previous owner also mentioned thinking of going with Excedy for the clutch, so I would like to identify specifically which clutch it is.

The pressure plate is marked as made in Japan, while the disk is marked as made in the USA. There are also some numbers on the disk: 2E28 & HD-504 D.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Also, if it is ACT, do you guys know if there is any warranty? It is just over two years old... which obviously is far too early to be going!

Additionally, I will need to replace the pressure plate and resurface the flywheel, correct? Is there any sense in reusing the pressure plate or not having the flywheel resurfaced?

And the flywheel bearing will need to be replaced as well, correct? Can I use a Honda OEM one, or would I need to contact ACT?It is an ACT 12lb flywheel that was installed new at the same time as the clutch.

Please, please help by answering the above questions if you have any knowledge!

Last, I need some help deciding on a replacement for the clutch. I thought what was in there worked decently, but I would be wary of replacing it with the same clutch, unless it is being done under warranty.

The Teg is turbo'ed putting 210 HP - 250 HP to the wheels (at 7 & 12 lbs of boost on a Turbonetics kit, tuned).

I prefer something that grips very well but is not OVERLY harsh in engagement.

Thanks for your time and remember that every post here is a post to get this baby back on the course rearing up for joy!

·
Registered
661 Posts
They probably bought a street disk from act but used the oem or replacement pressure plate.
Act's street disk's have blue on them so that's what made me think that.
I bought a clutch kit (oem replacement) from my local auto parts store.(orielly's).
and it had the exact same color as your pressure plate.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I'm thinking as far as the pressure plate goes. All excedys that I have seen have looked like that.

Could this mismatch of parts caused the problem? And could that be the ITR pressure plate that is often recommended?

What can I put in there so I won't have to worry about this happening again?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't make a recommendation on which pressure plate or clutch plate to use however I will say that you have the transmission off already and no having the flywheel resurfaced might prove to be a mistake. By not resurfacing the flywheel you run the risk of having "chattering" when everything starts to engage. Makes for fun starts on a hill, especially steep ones!

Regarding the clutch plate, I'd take a wild guess it was abused, racing could be considered abuse, I had one fail the exact same way on me years ago on an '88 T-bird turbo. The typical cause of failure is popping the clutch to spin the wheels, that is very hard on it..

·
Banned
2,878 Posts
*Ok, going from what I saw on your pics, that's obviously not an ACT clutch. Trust me, i've had two integras and did a lot of research and remember a lot of what the designs were and what company they belonged to. The plate most evidently looks like an Exedy. However, it looks like a stage 1.
*If that's your car with an intercooler, I'd recommend upgrading it to a stge. 2 or 3 (depending on how much hp you have or plan on getting). I've had friends who upgraded with ACT and complained that the clutch is way too stiff, and becomes a hassle to drive as a DD. So, maybe you should look into Exedy. I've had it twice, and will never complain.
*If the flywheel is fine, you won't need to resurface it, however, you should look into getting an upgraded one that's lighter. (better acceleration).
*As for a new bearing, OEM is the way to go, and it's recommended to get a new one.

GL & hope I helped...

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new bearing comes with the ACT kit, right?

I ended up getting the ACT kit from a TI member. It is the HDSS kit if I recall correctly, and I believe that's considered Stage II.

As far as the flywheel, it's an ACT 8.8lb flywheel that was put in at the same time as the clutch, about two years ago. It hasn't been in there that long, that's why I think it might not need to be resurfaced. Also, I wasn't sure if lightweight ones always could be resurfaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.