Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there: My newly built b18b1 seems to be running great but smokes quite a bit of blue. Engine is built for boost but is running all motor while im piecing together a turbo setup.

Specs are as follows:
-obd1 b18b1
-new oem pistons and rings
-acl bearings
-arp headstuds
-cometic head gasket
-clutchmasters fx300 clutch
-skunk 2 valve springs
-brian crower stage 2 turbo camshafts
-buddy club adjustable cam gears (set at 0)

I have approx 280km on the engine (170 miles)

It lightly smokes while warming up from a cold start but not as much idling once it has been driven a bit. If I have been sitting at a red light for a few minutes and then pull away I will notice a puff of blueish smoke as a pull away, and an oily exhaust smell.

All other seals and gaskets have been replaced (valve seals, valve cover, etc....) I followed a pretty aggresive break in procedure that a friend gave me (he has build many honda motors and broken them all in this way with no problems)

The odd part is I have not had to add oil at all. It is still reading full on the dipstick and doesnt seem to lose oil at all (or very little) but it's still smoking this way and im a little bit concerned.

If anybody has any idea's, theorys, or has experienced this. Let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im absolutely positive it's burning oil. It emits some pretty thick blue smoke, and the smell is unmistakeable. I should also not that this engine sat for a solid year after it was built before it was ever run.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i just redid my engine and it had quite a bit of smoke coming from the exhaust, it didnt go away until about 450 miles later.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem!

So of the theories that were thrown out there (valve seals, oil control rings) I thought, It cant be rungs because my spark plugs are not showing any sign of burning oil... right? And it cant be intake valve seals for the same reason...

So upon further examination of the exhaust side valve seals, I find that 4/8 of them are not on all the way!

All the intake side, and 4 of the exhaust side have maybe a fingernail width between the bottom of the seal and the spring seat. But these 4 trouble ones on the exhaust side have almost 1/4 inch!!

I now have this tool on order from euro export inc B18L/S B20LS Valve Spring Compressor
So I will have the seals fixed in no time.

I just wanted to show my finding in case anyone else ever encounters such a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts