Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to rebuild a b20 engine? Is it something that can be done easily with the right tools/time/instruction? or is it something that's pretty complicated? I think it'd be a fun side project to pick one up and get some new internals, then after all that put it in the teg and see if it runs hehe. Anyone who's had first hand experience with building an engine wanna give some input? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You need to send the block out for machining. If the machine shop does all the precision work, it's not that hard to slap everything together. Expect this "fun side project" to cost roughly $3500 to do it correctly. You do not want to half-ass this project. You spend hundreds of hours doing this and if you skimped on anything, all that time might have been wasted.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
it depends on the condition of the cylinder walls. if they're not scored and warped you could get away with doing your own honing and using stock bore pistons.

the problem with hand honing is that you can't guarantee that the cylinders will be centered and perferctly round for a good ring seal especially if this is your first try at it. There are diy honing kits like the ones by Standard Abrasives. If the walls are warped and heavily scored then forget it. You need a machine shop with a proper CNC machine to bore for you and they should hone it. Then you'll need a bigger bore piston. You probably have to get someone to press the piston pins in for you if you can't rent a press yourself or time on one. And you need the proper tools to put the piston into the cylinder with the rings on and to measure clearances like ring end gap, piston to head, piston to wall, rod bolt stretch, rod bearing, main bearing, and deck clearances.

It depends on your mechanical skill , patience, and access to instructions and tools.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fyberoptik on Apr/07/04 said:
You need to send the block out for machining. If the machine shop does all the precision work, it's not that hard to slap everything together. Expect this "fun side project" to cost roughly $3500 to do it correctly. You do not want to half-ass this project. You spend hundreds of hours doing this and if you skimped on anything, all that time might have been wasted.
Thanks for the input guys. Even if I did screw up I wouldn't call it wasted time, I'm sure I'd learn a ton from the first engine build. how much does honing cost? I would like to keep the bore the same. Well I have a ton of research to do *obviously hehe*. off the top of your head, do you guys know the average time a mechanic spends on a rebuild?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I recommend tearing it down yourself, you will learn alot after getting your hands dirty, and then have it assembled by a shop. Hot-tanking it is also adviseable. Like MD said, if you don't have a press, a drill, and an assortment of sockets and random tools, I wouldn't even consider it. There are a few members here who have built there own engines, like DaBoyNBlu.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hakamoto on Apr/07/04 said:
I recommend tearing it down yourself, you will learn alot after getting your hands dirty, and then have it assembled by a shop. Hot-tanking it is also adviseable. Like MD said, if you don't have a press, a drill, and an assortment of sockets and random tools, I wouldn't even consider it. There are a few members here who have built there own engines, like DaBoyNBlu.
Thats the other thing I was thinking about. Just getting a short block and taking it all apart then taking it to a local shop with all the internals i want to have in it. Maybe I could even find a cool enough mechanic who'll let me watch in, prolly not but its worht asking i guess. so i could expect 1500+ for labor in that situation?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
With a disassembled block and all the parts, it might not even cost you that much. The only thing you need to worry about is taking the block to a machine shop to have it honed, if you need it(I recommend it, it can't hurt). I would have it hot-tanked too, but that's just because I'm a clean freak. I would think a mechanic could put a disassembled motor back together in 2-3days tops. The measuring of clearances and whatnot is the real pain in the arse.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
MD, I'd love a link to the hand hone.

Never let an average mechanic do the machine work. They don't build engines, they fix them. Find a good machinist to work on the block. Expect to pay around $150 for honing.

You want to pay someone $1500 to WATCH them build an engine for you. I think you need to pick up a book and save yourself $1500. If you want to learn, sign up for an engine rebuilding class at your local community college. If you want to learn more, see if there's an engine blueprinting class.

Hakamoto, if you are hot tanking, make sure the equipment is solvent is safe for use on aluminum. Hot tanks are good for the initial cleaning, but hot soapy water is better for final cleaning. And if you're a real clean freak, try out some shaving cream.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fyberoptik on Apr/07/04 said:
MD, I'd love a link to the hand hone.

Never let an average mechanic do the machine work. They don't build engines, they fix them. Find a good machinist to work on the block. Expect to pay around $150 for honing.

You want to pay someone $1500 to WATCH them build an engine for you. I think you need to pick up a book and save yourself $1500. If you want to learn, sign up for an engine rebuilding class at your local community college. If you want to learn more, see if there's an engine blueprinting class.

Hakamoto, if you are hot tanking, make sure the equipment is solvent is safe for use on aluminum. Hot tanks are good for the initial cleaning, but hot soapy water is better for final cleaning. And if you're a real clean freak, try out some shaving cream.
thanks fiber, maybe I will sign up for a class like that. I'm thinking of it this way... if I could save 1500 there, thats 1500 more i could put into the motor/classes and actually learn something too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts