Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buying a used low milage or rebuilding the motor.
also what would be cheaper?

·
Registered
685 Posts
get your motor rebuilt...it will be as good as new and if you want then you could also throw in some go faster goodies into the engine...this will probably cost more than an engine with low milage but you will be happier with the rebuilt engine if you get some engine goodies...

if you want to be cost effective then go with the newer motor...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am planning on boosting the motor. about 9 lbs.

But i have noticed that my motor is slowly going. or that some guy w/ a 90 teg w/ 270K is just as fast or quicker then i cuz he probably has a rebuilt motor.

Just trying to think of a cost effective way of getting power back. and be reliable when i boost it.

oh btw i have 188K

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Dang! Replace gaskets, tighten the throttle cable, New piston rings, tighten valve lash, timing belt...the shabang.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IntegraBad18c on Aug/03/02 said:
Dang! Replace gaskets, tighten the throttle cable, New piston rings, tighten valve lash, timing belt...the shabang.
what the hell is a valve lash ?? and how do u tighten it?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
TheManOhYea on Aug/03/02 said:
what the hell is a valve lash ?? and how do u tighten it?
click here->what it is

click here-> How to do it on a B18C anyway

if you don't have a Helm's manual for your model year and car, you should get one especially if you are now tinkering with your car yourself...don't guess...make sure you have a "roadmap" on how to do it right with the right torque down specs and precaustions in instruction form....

www.helminc.com

if you have never done this before, then let a pro do it...if you do this wrong you can burn a valves, cause piston to valve contact, or cause added rocker and cam lobe wear....

A rebuild is cheaper and is as good as a new engine as long as the machine shop does it to spec (blueprint clearances to factory specs) and you break in the engine properly (article on engine break in available in the articles section)....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why would you change your engine? I saw your car run two weeks ago, you were pretty quick N/A! But I guess if you are gonna boost it, then I rebuild would be in order. (i see u found the site!, i have the white G3)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason i want a new engine or rebuild it is because some guy w/ a black g2 in ottawa is just as quick or quicker than i. and he has 270K on his car.. :( and i only have 188K

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
gustavo on May/02/04 said:
I think that rebuilding it would be better. And cheaper.
how would it be cheaper??? you can get used engines for nothing online...if he does the rebuild himself the cost would be close to that of a used one...BUT...if he's going to pay someone not only does he have to worry about that price but also the fact of whether or not the engine will be right where as a used one that was built in the factory and has been proven to last if you take care of it.....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just get a B20Z and use the head you have now :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Aug/03/02 said:
A rebuild is cheaper and is as good as a new engine as long as the machine shop does it to spec (blueprint clearances to factory specs) and you break in the engine properly (article on engine break in available in the articles section)....
again MD says it best...if your engine is rebuilt than ur set, you engine is basically like it has no miles on it, when broken in properly it be like new which is great for FI, also when gettin a used engine you dont know what WAS DoNE during those alleged few miles, was this person driving hard, racing, maintaining it properly, oiling it...i would say is even if its more money to have someone rebuild for you do it...pay extra for the peace of mind knowing your engine is the best condition.

·
Registered
390 Posts
it depends on your goals, do you want boost, do you want an upgraded NA setup, or do you want a stock setup just running a little beter. All three cases the rebuild yields you a "new motor" however if you are looking at case 3 a swap will be cheeper if you do it yourself. My sister blew her 96 ls motor and i am replacing it with a low miles 97 motor, and doing a new clutch (all stock no upgrades) and my total costs are around $800

·
Registered
329 Posts
hondadriver on May/04/04 said:
All three cases the rebuild yields you a "new motor" however if you are looking at case 3 a swap will be cheeper if you do it yourself.
i agree but i think he said he was boosting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts