Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my engine rebuild @ 130,000 miles it was smoking pretty bad, brand new timing belt and waterpump too. The mechanic told me the engine was rebuildable after he tore it down and look @ it.. He told me he would rebuild the engine to make it new again. The exact list goes like this:

-new piston rings
-head job, (full head cleaning, new valves+valve job)
-block and head both resurfaced for perfect fit
-block walls all honed and resurfaced
-full engine gasket replacement
-plugs, wires, oil, antifreeze, and other lil extra things.

Came out to $1500.

The next day after i got it out of the shop i put a aem short ram on it to be more safer, I kept high shifts to a 4500rpm max to let everything break in like told so, it ran so much better than before i could tell the difference everyday i drove it (like a new car), but @ about 550 miles and 2 1/2 weeks later while driving the oil light comes on so i pulled over and checked the oil it was FULL, got back in, start the car and the light cuts off completely, so i drove off for a couple of minutes and the car starts making a horrible knocking and vibrating sound and the light comes back on i tried to pull over but the car instantly stalls! I had it towed to the shop the next day and turns out the bearings on the rod and crank broke in cyl. 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 were fine. He says he found some water in the oil, i dont know how when i had a aem sr intake and didnt drive over any puddles or got the filter wet?? They say they can fix the bearings and the crank and give me a new oil pump. Which is all gonna cost like another $500+ and thats after he said he would cut me a deal on the labor, what kind of horrible LUCK is THIS!!! I just got it freshly painted and cant even drive it plus my savings account is @ $0.00 now!!!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
even if you had sucked some water in the intake it wouldn't get in the oil. this really sounds like they are working you over.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Tell him to fix it for FREE, or youre going to the Better Business Bureau.

My buddy went to the BBB after a shop dicked him over on a motorcycle engine. They paid for all new parts and labor after BBB got finished with them. If that doesnt work, tell him youll be back with your lawyer, and If it goes to court, you want a NEW motor, not a rebuilt one.

Faced with the possibility of having to buy you a new motor, the Better Business Bureau, and paying for court fees, I guarentee hell take care of it.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
"new piston rings
-head job, (full head cleaning, new valves+valve job)
-block and head both resurfaced for perfect fit
-block walls all honed and resurfaced
-full engine gasket replacement
-plugs, wires, oil, antifreeze, and other lil extra things."

I don't see New bearings listed in there at all.

A new set of bearings would run at least $200 and would not fall in the "little things" catergory. as far as the water in the oil, and the oil pressure loss. when the bearing broke it could have clogged the oil pickup, causing further oil starvation. water could indicate a damaged water jacket (punctured) or a badly sealing head gasket. OR if they used water to clean the block, it might not have completely dried out before reassembly.

Either way the bearings should have been checked and/or replaced if you were doing a COMPLETE rebuild at that milage.

Most b-series go much longer before needing bearings replaced though.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Did he give you any warantee on either the PARTS or the SErvice?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well yeah but its kinda weird, it goes like this: HE told me to let him get all the parts or he would not warranty any work, I get discounts on parts but still i had to let him buy the stuff, anyway, so i let him so i can have the warranty, but when i got it back he said he cant warranty the work until i got my cooling fan fixed, it worked when i cut on the ac button because thats how it accidently got wired, but it still worked when i needed it, i was driving with it on at all times too, the car did not over heat at all, the temp was always fine, but thats the reason why it didnt come with a full warranty, and they are trying to use that against me so i can pay for the new repairs, i dont know what to do now. When he gave me back the car the first time he also stated that more than good work was done to it and that it was ready for plenty of road trips!! He told me also that if it was the oil pump all the crank seals would have broke not just 2 thats why he is blaming the water in the oil on everything saying the engine hydrolocked, but wouldnt the head be somewhat damaged also if that was the case, he said the head was pefecty fine, all damage was done to the BLOCK. I get more mad everyday i think about...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You couldve bought a new(er) b18b or b20 for about $500-600... that hasnt been rebuilt... He saw you coming, took your for a ride, and just bent you over his counter...

Free rebuild or replacement, or get a lawyer and/or BBB..

·
Registered
676 Posts
BAR, BBB, lawyer.

Same thing happened to my friend, but also they messed up his $2k Volks. 2 weeks later, he got an ITR motor and brand new rims/tires/balancing/all that AND some brake pads(random???).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: Luckily while my engine was running good after the rebuild i took some pictures of the clean motor with the short ram on, i took it up there to show him my proof of having my cold air off and now he is trying to say that it probably overheated then, I'm thinkin to myself: if it overheated why was i able to easily check my oil with my friend, also there was no smoking anywhere, the engine was still cold i had only been driving it for like 10 min @ night!!! It did not overheat so thats out of the question! My question to u guys is if my oil pump died wouldn't that cause oil starvation and cause the bearings to go out because of lack of oil. He told me he was doin a complete rebuild i think he rushed it @ the end because he had already had it for a month and towards the end of the month i kept calling them to see what progress they had made, and they forgot to replace the stupid oil pump and other oil related parts or at least checked them! And now he dosent want to take blame for any of this mess!!! Lawyer is sounding so good to me right now, good thing my auntie is a district attorney!! :)

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
1500 Is way to cheap for a proper rebuild(with a shop doing it at least, especially with the motor in the car.)

I charge 600 for just removing, and reinstalling an engine....

figure 900 for just parts, and machine work, and "proper" assembly...

You were had before he even did the work.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think the guy is trying to screw you

I think you should have made sure to buy new bearings and oil pump

I think you should have paid whatever it was to have the fan issue fixed while doing the rebuild so he would warranty the work

I think its time for a lawyer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.