Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if anyone has ever written up a thread about this topic, but i've noticed that a lot of ppl stray from hood pins simply b/c they don't like the looks of them. What these ppl don't understand is that they are for safety reasons first and foremost, not for looks.

I think hood pins were originally meant for the single layer hoods that have no latch, therefore needing some way of holding down the hood. I also think that most ppl think that b/c companies like VIS and Fiber Images, who make the slightly heavier, 3 layered, show quality hoods, have hood latches, that the hood is completely safe and secure from flying up on the driver. Truth is, although these hoods may seem to be made well and have metal hood latches, they still aren't as safe as, say, a stock metal hood.

Hood pins are highly recommended on ANY CF hood b/c basically its a metal latch that keeps the hood from flying up right? well, this metal is only held onto the CF hood by either bolting into Fiberglass or CF. This is obviously not as strong as a metal latch bolting to a metal hood. For example, something as simple and routine as opening and closing the hood or the natural jiggling of the hood latch during driving on a CF hood will not always, but can, make the hood latch have a weaker connection to the hood.

My friend's CF hood on his supra flew up on him while he was going 100+ on a freeway, shattering his windshield and smashing the top of his roof. He was lucky he didn't lose control and have other things worse happen like hitting other cars, or just losing control and smashing into something. My other friend who has a CF hood w/o hood pins, tells me that he worries about his hood sometimes b/c his hood jiggles like crazy at high speeds.

Well anyway, i hope that wasn't just me rambling b/c its late, i just want ppl who aren't informed about the subject or who think badly of hood pins to grow more knowledgeable about the subject. The hood pins are there as a safety supplement to aid the hood in staying down. I highly recommend anyone with any CF hood to install hood pins. So thats about it, just wanted to be informative since i see so many ppl ask what the point of hood pins on a CF hood are. Comments?, anything to add....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I want to put hood pins on my c/f hood when it finally arrives, it's only a 14lb hood. What I'm sketched out about is installing them, you CAN'T mess up. I actually like the look though.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear ur gonna install hood pins.

Just have someone install it who is reputable. i'd never ask a shop who has no experience in doing the job to do it. The biggest things to worry about installation is to make sure the placement is right the first time, and make sure while they drill, they don't snag the weave.

Other than that, hope whoever installs it for u is successful. Just dont forget to undo the hood pins before u pull the hood release! and watch out for when mechanics work on ur car, who don't know how to "work" them. Not watching out for these two things could result in cracks around the hood pins.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I don't know if ya'll guys know this trick, but install the hardware that goes to the body of the car and use something like grease on top of the things sticking up. So when you lower the undrilled hood on them, it will leave a mark and you drill where you see grease on underside of the hood.
I haven't tried so don't call me and complain that you messed up your hood. haha

Your post reminded me of a guy back home he put hood pins on stock metal hood of his cavalier! I guess he was trying to be extra safe huh?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Can you really crack the hood around the hood pins by just pulling the release?? Doesn't seem very likely - there's not that much force.

I'd like to install them myself, we'll see.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hpracing007 on Apr/15/04 said:
I don't know if ya'll guys know this trick, but install the hardware that goes to the body of the car and use something like grease on top of the things sticking up. So when you lower the undrilled hood on them, it will leave a mark and you drill where you see grease on underside of the hood.
I haven't tried so don't call me and complain that you messed up your hood. haha

Your post reminded me of a guy back home he put hood pins on stock metal hood of his cavalier! I guess he was trying to be extra safe huh?

interesting tip, and yeh, guess that cavalier just liked the "saftiness" hah

Quote: white98ls on Apr/15/04 Can you really crack the hood around the hood pins by just pulling the release?? Doesn't seem very likely - there's not that much force.

well, assuming u know how the hood pins function, the way i had my hood pins, i had to slightly depress the hood, so i could put the pin thru the hole. This way, the hood is pressing up against the pin. If u don't do this, the pin will be loose in the hole and it'll make an annoying rattling sound. Trust me on this! i spent a day trying to figure out what the annoying rattling sound coming from the front of my car was, when it was just my loose hood pin.

So the force of the hood release pushing the hood upwards when it is already snug against the hood pins, can do a lil damage, but ur right, its not much. But if the installer of the hood pins cracks the hood slightly while drilling the screws into the hood, simple things like popping the hood while the hood pins are still locked can further crack these existing cracks...

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, for those wanting to install it themselves, i dunno about around your area, but in San Diego, the speed shops usually charge an insurance fee. for example i paid 50 dollars to get my hood pins installed, this is because if the installer messes up the hood, they claim responsibility and i get a new hood. just something to think about...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
My friend gave up on the pins after they got stolen 3 times. I'd definitely go for some hood locks though if I was interested in a CF hood.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
i've got the hood locks on my cf hood, i've gotta go to work right now, but i'll try and get some pics tonight, i dont think it looks bad at all, they almost sit flush with the hood...Matt

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yea my dad had a 69 mustang mach1 and it had hood pins but as for me i dont have a carbon fiber hood and well my hood stays true to the car at 120 at least thats all i know for now. mabey in teh future if it gets loose i will get them very informative though.

·
Registered
778 Posts
they dont look bad to me, but what about people comin up and openin ur hood and messin w/ stuff in ur engine?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MeltMan on Apr/15/04 said:
Quote: Hazard97 on Apr/15/04they dont look bad to me, but what about people comin up and openin ur hood and messin w/ stuff in ur engine? The stock latch is still there...

so... removing the pins wont allow the hood to open without getting in the car and popping the hood normally.
yeah, meltman has it right. the hood pins aren't the only thing keeping the hood down if u have a CF hood w/ a latch. The hood is mainly kept down by the latch, the pins are there as a supplement, incase the hood latch fails (meaning breaks off), then the hood pins keep the hood from flying up.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
aznspeedracer32 on Apr/15/04 said:
Quote: white98ls on Apr/15/04Can you really crack the hood around the hood pins by just pulling the release?? Doesn't seem very likely - there's not that much force.
well, assuming u know how the hood pins function, the way i had my hood pins, i had to slightly depress the hood, so i could put the pin thru the hole. This way, the hood is pressing up against the pin. If u don't do this, the pin will be loose in the hole and it'll make an annoying rattling sound. Trust me on this! i spent a day trying to figure out what the annoying rattling sound coming from the front of my car was, when it was just my loose hood pin.

So the force of the hood release pushing the hood upwards when it is already snug against the hood pins, can do a lil damage, but ur right, its not much. But if the installer of the hood pins cracks the hood slightly while drilling the screws into the hood, simple things like popping the hood while the hood pins are still locked can further crack these existing cracks...
I guess my question is, does the hood release actually PUSH the hood upwards? Or does it just release it? Because shutting the hood from the "released" or cracked position doesn't take a lot of force, like it's not a kind of force holding the hood open that could really crack the hood. But does pulling the release actually push the hood up or just release it? Do you know what I'm saying?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts