Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back seats in our coupes are rough. Anyone over 5'8" rubs their head against the ceiling/hatch glass, headrests are non-existent and there is an awkward plastic piece in the middle that serves virtually no functional purpose other than to rudely disrupt any encounters of the sexual nature

These are a few attributes that make it one of my least favorite parts of our otherwise excellently designed cars and I'd like to change it. Being in college and in a fraternity, I constantly pile (sometimes inebriated) people into my car and get a fair share of complaints about the rear seat. I want to make it more homely, so here are a few proposal ideas I came up with:

1) Remove the plastic partition, or make it useful
2) Install a middle seatbelt
3) Put in a rear seat from another car (DB, DC5, DA, civic perhaps...)
4) Extend the headrests
5) Drop the seats lower
6) Deepen the rear seats (more bucket-like)
7) Make the rear seats swivel (think 2008 Dodge Caravan)
8) Remove passenger seat and make a side bench/staggered seating configuration
9+) Suggestions!

If you guys have any ideas post some too! Use this as a brainstorming place, so don't worry about practicality, safety or cost for the moment. The WILDER the better!!

I'd probably go to a junk yard or buy a rear seat off of someone for cheap to work on. If you know of any lmk...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Teg back seat definitely sucks, but i didnt buy mine to sit in the back. For the bottom, you can get a jdm itr seat, it has no plastic thing. with headrests, i dont know if you'll be able to see. i don't think a diy middle seatbelt would be very safe, and neither would a sidebench seat. goodluck...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
the swivel would be cool, but it would be pointless cuz the passengers would still hit their heads but just facing backwards...i usually get the most people in my car by the having them lie down sardine style in the hatch with the seats folded down

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
gssrr on Oct/12/07 said:
Teg back seat definitely sucks, but i didnt buy mine to sit in the back. For the bottom, you can get a jdm itr seat, it has no plastic thing. with headrests, i dont know if you'll be able to see. i don't think a diy middle seatbelt would be very safe, and neither would a sidebench seat. goodluck...
X2

·
Registered
27 Posts
98_gsr on Oct/12/07 said:
the swivel would be cool, but it would be pointless cuz the passengers would still hit their heads but just facing backwards...i usually get the most people in my car by the having them lie down sardine style in the hatch with the seats folded down
HAHAHA, for some reason, I couldn't stop laughing at that last part. I imagined my friends all laying down in the back complaining their asses off.

Everyone complains about the back of my car as well, that's why i'm just taking them out. Less seats less problems

·
Registered
141 Posts
just get the JDM back seat if the plastic tray is a big problem. For me, i just keep a small pillow in the car so when 3 ppl are stuff in the back, they can place the pillow on the plastic tray for extra comfort. ppl complain about my back seat all the time, im the one driving, so who cares

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Hm as far as i know you can't really drop the seat any lower because the metal body is right under it with the fuel pump hidden with it, good luck trying tho, how about rsx rear seats

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
98_gsr on Oct/12/07 said:

I have actually slept in the back of my hatch at the beach once..
heh heh

edit... just remove them that way you wont have to haul others around. lol thats how I keep people out of my car other than my wife.. lol

·
Registered
706 Posts
only solution I know is getting a DB... Either that or both the driver and passenger scoot their seats all the way up (both slider and "leaner") and the people in the back slouch... or go ghetto style and take off the rear bottom seats and trow some nice fluffy pillows/bean bag thingy.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
You could probably either rip out the plastic part and get a pad to replace it and then get it upholstered or just get a pad and put upholstery around the plastic piece (that way you don't have to both with removing it).

As far as adding a seatbelt, I would imagine you can just find a solid part of the car (such as where the seat is bolted on) and drill into it and then add a holder on top of the seat to position it correctly. However, if you have to get any kind of safety inspection, there's no telling if it would pass.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Could Acura just have made a smaller teg with no back seat to begin with.

At least get rid of the stupid plastic piece bro. That wont be tremendoiucly hard and adding a waist belt is really easy. ive done replacements in tons of cars like that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm sure a furniture upholstery place could help you out. Take you back seat out, bring it in, tell them what you want and see what they can do.They could probably also do a pretty good job on matching the fabric/leather.

I never liked the plastic thing either.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Well, here's the closest pic of my rear seats that I could find for future reference. I've actually never had anybody complain about anything, other than leg room. I've had 5 guys in there before, on our way to the skate park. They are actually fairly wide and they feel alot like the front bucket seats. Already has the center seat and buckle too. I don't know how you could make them work for a G3 though...

DA9 seats:

·
Registered
455 Posts
engineer14teg on Oct/12/07 said:
there is an awkward plastic piece in the middle that serves virtually no functional purpose other than to rudely disrupt any encounters of the sexual nature.
LOL

Maybe try clearing out your trunk, removing the trunk cover, and laying the seats down????

I dont really think you could get any more head room with out serious modification.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.