Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am trying to install a lower rear tie bar but one of the bolts I have to take out is seized in the bushing or whatever... I know how to go about gettin em out, my question is, Which bushings do I need to buy? I mistakingly bought shock bushings (rear lower and upper) from a local speed shop. BTW, I am talking about the bolt that actually holds the lower control arm to the vehicle. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
You shouldn't need a bushing. For what?
Most of those bars are, pull the bolts out, put the bar in, put the bolts back in ...done.
Those bushings are vulcanised in and have a steel sleeve that has to be either pressed out or burned out/cut.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Well, if you can't get the bolt out, how are you going to get the bushing out?
The bolt has to come out first.
The bushing is around the bolt and pressed into the arm.
In your original post you said getting the bolt out wasn't the problem????
So which is it?

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
The bushing is not what is stopping the bolt from coming out.
I would never suggest to put a torch to your car on a part that needs lots of heat. That's just taking a chance.
The part # from Energy Suspension is...Looking.

Here is there # 1(949)361-3935. These are poly not stock. It's more work than it looks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I try to take the bolt out, it will not turn more than 90 degrees or so. I can feel it, it is a bolt stuck in rubber... like when I turn the bolt that 90 degrees or so and let go of the wrench its springs back to where it was before I started turning it.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I have a 2000 GSR, the bushings have a sleeve between the bolt and rubber part of the bushing. Yours should be the same.

If you have the bolt loose from the female end...then you need to take some wieght off the arm so the bolt will come out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bolt is completely tightened. It will not loosen. Something is seized in rubber because any progress you make while loosening is null and void when the bolt springs back to its original position. What is the name of the bushing that goes here. That is all I am asking.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
It's the upper/inner Lower control arm bushing. Depending on the company that makes the bushing.
You might want to read through the articals. Those would also answer your question.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
the bolt you are talking about should not be seized in any rubber because there is a metal sleeve around the bolt maybe its just rusted and needs some wd,liquid wrench or something like that.by the way all the bushings in the car have a metal sleeve around them except one wich is in the front dont rember wich off the top.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the exact same problem with the lower bolt connecting to the wheel. Also had to burn out both bushings connected to the shock, that sucked!

I'm replacing my LCAs with new T-6 Billet Aluminum w/poly bushings, so I don't care how I get the bolt out. My only concern is for the other parts of the car and not the LCA.

I must mention that it takes a ToN of heat to get those bushings out, along with brut force from another person.
It was unsafe, but had to be done. Otherwise, I would never recomend it.

Since your bolt has not come out yet, you can at least titghten it back up, yes? I'd say do that and forget the tie bar.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I can't loosen the LCA bolt to install my rear lower tie bar. I tried soaking it in WD-40 overnight and then used an air-impact at maximum psi and the bolt still won't loosen. I also tried using a floor jack to lift up the LCA and then used an air-impact on the bolt and still no luck. I'm tempted to use the breaker bar but I'm afraid of snapping the bolt head off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me too... try to breaker bar and see if it springs back into place just like mine does. I used wd-40 and kroil (I love this stuff) and it still acts like the bolt is like fused with the rubber.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I tried the breaker bar and it felt like I was slightly turning the bolt, but then when I let go of the bar, the bolt just twisted back into place. It didn't loosen at all. I was only able to turn it about 20 degrees or so. I could have tried using more force but I thought the bolt was going to break.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ive had the same problem a few times. try to get a hack saw next to the bushing and cut the bolt off on both sides, then press the bushing out and replace it with a new one. Youll have to get a new bolt from home depot or something.

·
Registered
443 Posts
gijake1 on Feb/25/04 said:
ive had the same problem a few times. try to get a hack saw next to the bushing and cut the bolt off on both sides, then press the bushing out and replace it with a new one. Youll have to get a new bolt from home depot or something.
That's exactly what had to be done with my car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
one more tip: I you don't have the tools or are unsure if you can press out the bushing, don't cut the bolt! If you do, you won't be able to take the car to where someone else can work on it. Trust me. If that happens your only option is to take the whole LCA off and bring it somewhere to get pressed out. That is if you don't have the same problem with the upper bolt that holds the LCA in place. Take your time and think this through before you go any further. Your next move is an important one.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.