Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I did my front brakes, no problem...I let the boyfriend attempt the rear brakes, and he tells me that he can't do them becuase he needs some sort of "special tool" to get the old brakes off. I have not looked myself to see if he is right or not, so can someone please tell me if I need some sort of "special tool" in order to do a rear brake job on my 1996 LS? Winter is almost here and I need top performance from my e-brake!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
from what i know, the rear brakes are the same as the front brakes, at least in my car, only the pads are a little smaller, but samol samol.

·
Registered
879 Posts
you shouldnt need a special tool to remove the brakes. He may be talking about compressing the piston but that can be done with a set of pliers as seen in this article. Brake Job Look on page 10 for what Im talking about. This article is fairly straight forward maybe you should print it out and give it to your BF.

·
Registered
647 Posts
the tool to compress the piston is only 10 bucks. You attach it to a ratchet and turn. Simple...easier than messing with pliers while holding that heavy caliper in your hand.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats what I thought, but before I went and took them apart, I thought I would double check. Too bad the BF's now an ex, I'd love to say "I told you so!!"

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
His special tool must of been broke, want to use mine?

No really the brakes are the same as the front, so he must just be lazy and didnt want to do them.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Furious94LS on Aug/28/02 said:
His special tool must of been broke, want to use mine?

No really the brakes are the same as the front, so he must just be lazy and didnt want to do them.
I was thinking the same thing, about him being lazy of course!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the fronts myself, I think I can handle the rears...or was that an offer?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can't use C-claps for the rear pistons, since they also actuate the parking brakes. So you need to turn them back in. You could either buy the piston tool (Click to View)or just use a pair of needle nose pliers( I think this is faster) to turn it back. I can't remember which way, but you can check once its out. As for removing the rotors you will need to tool called an impact driver (Click to View). Have fun

Pat

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I needed the impact driver for the fronts as well. I actually had them apart and ready to take the rotors off before I realized I needed the driver...thats why I made this post, so I didn't make the same mistake twice!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New York - Maine....not that far!!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do hope you are talking about the brake job!! LoL

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
yeah, definately the brake job! im a good friend of furious94ls, hes good for it. im sure he'll make the trip just to help out a fellow TI'er.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts