Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been able to read my dip stick until lately, it's been going wacky on me. I warm up the car after an oil change, the level goes over the second dot! What the heck am i doing wrong here? I place 4qts in. Is there something wrong? Well i just really want to know, what is the correct way of reading the dip stick? Also, what is the consequences for overfilling? My car seems to be shaking more than usual when i drive around 80mph. I have a 2000gsr so it's pretty new and shouldn't shake that much. Anyways thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
After 4qrts my level is up to the second dot. If its up to the second dot that is fine, if its at the 1st dot add a quart. The best is to have it half way between the 2 dots. Overfilling can cause leaks, and oil splashing from the crankshaft. If your at the second dot, dont worry its all good. The vibration at 80mph is your wheels need to be balanced or if you hit a pothole or a curb the rim may be bent. My money is on a balance.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assumed it's the alignment also guys. Thanks for the reassurance
Still the other question remains, what is the proper way to read a dip stick? I want to make sure b/c when i read it sometimes, it gives me a level above the second dot (when engine is cold) and the other time the level is below the first dot (when engine is hot).

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
After you've been running the engine alot of the oil is still in the head and soaked around various parts of the engine. If you check it cool and it's to the second dot, then you're good. 2nd (higher) dot is 4 quarts, 1st dot is 3 quarts.

·
Registered
301 Posts
dont check on a warm engine. i found that out the hard way. when i used to drive my dads car i kept adding oil to it b/c i thought the engine was old, and it was eating oil. it ended up leaking and we had to replace the head gasket. when i change oil, i dont heat it up before i read the dipstick. i also add oil treatment, so that raises up the dipstick level a bit. it comes out barely over the second dot. id say if its a half qt. over the second dot on a cool engine, its ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts