Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my car or it idles at low rpm, a chatter comes from my engine. If I give it any gas, it will go away for a while, then come back at low rpms when idling. It sounds like a heat sheild, but I ripped it off and it still makes the noise. It sounds like metal pieces rattling against each other (not loud, but annoying). I opened the hood and sounds like it's coming from around the headers (I have aftermarket dc header). Any of you have the same problem, have a suggestion of what it can be? Is there a heatshield before the cat I don't know about? Like I said, it is only when I'm idling when I hear it. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When did it start happening? ie. right ofter the header was installed or later? If it is an exhaust rattle the only problem you may run into is locating the exact problem, the noise likes to travel along the entire exhaist system. you made need to put it on a lift and get under it while it is running to get a better idea.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
There are heat shields that could rattle on you. That is the first thing I would check. Just took the exhaust manifold heat shield off my little sisters 94 ls last weekend. Was making some crazy noises.

Some strange rattle can come from you shifter linkages, and the bushings being worn out.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, the shifter bushings sound like a good suspect. I removed the heatshield by my shifter (after the cat) and that wasnt the problem. I wanted to get some new shifter bushings anyways, that stopping the rattling will be an added bonus. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts