Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and went through articles but it didn't help with this.

I have a 94 LS with aftermarket speakers and headunit. Lately it's been cutting in and out after hitting a bump, etc but recently it just doesn't turn on at all. The clock light IS on and all the fuses for it (under hood and in under dash boxes) are good. The ground is good and I checked all the wireless from the harness as well as the power cables. Whenever it does flicker on it stays fully on, able to play CD's etc. Even though it doesn't turn on, it can still take the CD in and out so it has to be getting some power to it.

Is there like a starter wire or something anywhere for it? The lighter doesn't work and little box light doesn't come on either, I know that they're connected to the same fuse as the radio but I checked the fuse which was fine but replaced it anyways and it still didn't work.

Any thoughts? Thank you for any help

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
did you check fuse number 23 inside the car? look here at this article and you will see that number 23 is the cigarette lighter and the radio. goodluck

*edit if it will take CDs but wont turn on then somthing must be wrong with the head unit itself. id exchange it for a new one.

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
The starter has absolutely nothing to do with the radio, so you can rule that out

and considering this started after you hit a bad bump, all signs point to pinched/crushed/damaged wire behind the radio, you'll have to pull it out to take a look

·
Registered
85 Posts
If it takes cds but doesnt always turn, then that means ground and constant power are good. That leaves one wire, ignition (red wire coming from the back of your aftermarket deck, yellow/red from factory wiring. Check for voltage, it should show 12v when the car's ignition is on, and 0v when off.

The only other thing I can think of is if any of your speaker wires are touching each other or a ground. But on most decks it would just make it so you wouldn't hear anything from the speakers

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quick way to test your radio. Take that red wire coming from the back of the radio and connect it with the yellow wire (leaving the yellow still connected to whatever its connected to).
If the radio turns on that means the radio is good and you have no power coming the the red wire to turn the radio on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuse 23 was the one I had checked (and was fine) and I replaced it anyways it but didn't do anything.

It didn't necessarily start after a bad bump, its just that after a bump, or when stopping/starting it might go on or off on it own accord. But there might be a bad wire somewhere, i looked through everything but will have to again.

I tried the test and when I connect it to the yellow wire it turned fine, so I guess it's not getting any power from the red to turn on. What do I need to do now? Should I get another harness or try to follow the wire? I'll follow it down tomorrow but do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
??? Was there something I missed? I can't leave it connected to the yellow wire if that's what you're laughing about. The yellow wire is the 12 volt power/memory wire, so I think that would leave the radio always on as opposed to the red one which ultimately is connected to the ignition which ill follow tomorrow, or did I miss something?? Lol doesn't help much...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the only one that seems to be the problem is red one, which is the 12 volt power/ignition, i can check the name tomorrow but it's what sends power to the radio to turn it on. the yellow one is the constant power which holds the charge to hold memory settings for the presets and lets you take out cd's even if the car is off.

I'm assuming that there is something messed up with the connection from the ignition to this wire, but i'll have to trace it tomorrow.

I don't have a wiring diagram but it would the the wire which ultimately connects after there is an ignition connection.

Any ideas? Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
Huh, my cig lighter has never worked and my OEM headunit just stopped playing cd's the other week, it throws the ERR code on the headunit....piece of ****.

I don't remember hitting a bump though, I avoid potholes and such like the plague.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My problem started before I hit a bump and I never hit any serious bumps, its just that even starting or slowing down and start it or turn it off.

I don't think that connecting the red power wire directly to the power wire before the orignal harness will solve the problem. I finally found my orignal head unit and plugged that into the orignal harness and that didn't work. I'm about to go follow that power wire through and see if it comes up with anything.

Also when I connected the constant power wire to the red power/ignition wire, the cigarette lighter turned on, i guess that means that the whole thing is one circuit, doesn't help much but good to know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
found out the problem, it probably won't apply to ANYoNE else but at least it's done now.

What happened was this: a few days before this problem started to occur, I took out a bunch of wires from the old telephone setup that they used to have in the car. one of those hands free kits from the early 90's that has some whole control unit in the truck with wires everywhere for it.

Well I took most of this out, and the way they had run the power was from the battery to the fuse box and had a metal clip on the fuse so that the phone piece would use that fuse. Then there was a wire from that clip to the unit itself. So this clip had been on there for 14 years and had bent the metal that holds in the fuse making the fuse loose and poorly connected. I found this out when I could wiggle the fuse to turn the radio on and off. So I had to cut a piece of wire, bend it over the fuse and stick it in like that to hold it in tight. It works fine now though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.