Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well i went out and bought a radio installation kit and i installed everything followed the directions and it went fine. well a couple weeks later i went down to my local track and as soon as i slammed it into 2nd gear the radio and the kit came crashing out and slammed into my hand.. wtf? also a buddy of mine with the same car had the exact same problem i dont know whats going on here? does anyone know if i did anything wrong?
btw a radio smashing your finger while its on a shifter hurts pretty bad.. lol any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
backstrap as in the clip that sits in the back and holds the back of the radio? if thats what your talking about it doesnt connect to the head unit its just for it to sit in there..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Backstrap as in you have a strap on the back of your deck that you screw into the original bolt behind the radio that the stock one was screwed in with.

Mabey you broke off some off the tabs that you wernt supposed to or left some on that should have been broken off.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
its not something that comes with the kit... it used to come witht he radio, but more and more companies are cutting corners and stopped including it (they sure in hell still show it in the install manual though, bastards! lol)

if you dont have one with your radio, goto a best buy or cicuit and as their installers if you can get one off them, they should have some laying around

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also, just to share some knowledge based upon my experience of installing numerous head units in numerous vehicles, our Integras have about the worst setup for installing a head unit. The dash kit does not screw into place like it does on a lot of other cars, it just sort of "snaps" into place, for lack of a better term. The only thing holding it in are the tabs. Even for those people that said they have never hada problem, I still believe that what happened to your head unit could happen to any of ours (that aren't backstrapped). My point is that you didn't do anything wrong in the installation, it's just the way it works in tegs. The backstrap will help, however.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i agree andy, ive also done many installs.
the tegs are very easy as far as installation goes, but the kit does not like to stay in that well. and the guys at best buy should deffinatly have some metal strapping laying around. and dont pay them for it (i doubt theyll ask) if you cant find it at all just goto a hardware store. metal strapping is also great because it makes your deck much more difficult to steal.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
This is a pretty common thing with the dash kits available for our cars. Make sure you broke of the correct tabs, as leaving a couple in place can prevent it from going in all the way. Even then though it's a pretty weak method of attachment.

I didnt like the idea of a radio which could be removed with only an upwards yank with you're hand in the pocket, so I made a few modifications to the kit. Just use you're imagination.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts