Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 95 teg se (manuel) and i've noticed after a week that my radiator has liquid coming out of the top. Under close inspection i can see that it isnt all that bad, but there is fluid coming out of the top. Since this doesnt sound good to me, how long (if its even safe at all) can i run with this problem? How much will it cost to fix?

thanks alot

·
Registered
208 Posts
well, if you just bought it... then it should be free- take it back to the dealer and raise hell. That is what I would do (Acura will do what it takes to avoid a screaming lunatic in their showrooms- even if it means losining a little (dirty) profit on fixin a faulty car they sold). Anyway, good luck with that.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
there should be a VERY small, thin crack along the top or back-side of the top. mine had the same problem, i just replaced it w/ some company's radiator and did the job myself (very easy). I wanted a fluidyne but that's too much money.

·
Registered
684 Posts
the design isn't the greatest (plastic cap). mine cracked too.

if you can live with it then fine. I'd check it often though.

www.1-888-radiator.com >> $140 for a better than factory unit. mine had two extra fittings for auto (just don't use them). took about an hour taking my time (pull the fans!).

fluidyne is cool but pricey (cheapest I found was $385).

·
Registered
66 Posts
when i bought my gsr it had a leak around the top too. i went to the acura dealer and asked nicely if theyd replace it, they said no. so i said alright give me my civic back (the 2001 i traded for my gsr) they said no, so then i said i would be back in the mourning with my lawyer.
they gave a rental for the night and had my gsr ready in the mourning with a new radiator, and a fresh coat of wax.

let them know your not gonna take "no" for an answer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I noticed this same leak around the top recently. I also was about 1/2 a gallon low on fluid, which is why it got hot enough for me to notice this. I promptly filled it up and have noticed no leaks or anything since. I later heard that integras don't have much more than a gallon on coolant in them, so this 1/2 gallon low was a BIG deal.

Anyone know how much coolant a teg holds when full?

schiesz

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
approximately 5.62 gallons

·
Registered
684 Posts
5.62 gallons?
>> that's half the gas tank!

When you buy the Honda fluid you break it down 50/50 with distilled water (even more water like 60/40 is better). I had a ton left over!

·
Registered
68 Posts
approximately 5.62 gallons? Couldn't you give me a more accurate answer?

Ok, that helps, I need to go back to the shop I just had flush the radiator and tell them I want my money back. They are the ones that told me is was just over a gallon, so when they ran almost 4 gallons through the machine it had cycled the entire system 3-4 times. Obviously, they didn't even make it through once.

Now for my next question: If I was 1/2 gallon low on coolant, should that have caused me serious heat issues? If I kept the RPMs high, it was fine, but idling in the heat made the temp just go up-Up-UP. Would 1/2 gallon low cause this, or should I start looking for other issues?

schiesz

·
Registered
39 Posts
if when you are idling your temp is rising...it could be one of two things:

1) you need a new thermostat
2) there is a problem with your fans and they aren't turning on

but it could have also been that you were just low on coolant, you had less, which would take less time to heat up, heating up faster than the thermostat opens.would the temp come back down after a while when idling? or only once you started driving?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The temp would not come back down if RPMs remained low. Just a few revs, and it would come down. Since filling the radiator, I have had no problems. I will look into replacing the thermostat however, as I do not wish to have any continuing heat problems. Thanks for the continued help,

schiesz

·
Registered
39 Posts
see...sounds like you were just low on fluid. if you revved it and temp dropped, that tells me that you were low. here's why: revving the engine makes the water pump pump faster, decreasing the amount of time said amount of coolant spends in the block getting hot. see where I'm goin with this? sounds like a pretty easy fix, but still take it somewhere if you're worried 'bout it

·
Registered
260 Posts
I need a new radiator. Mine just detonated on me luckily only a block away from my house. killed the motor right away (dont want to hurt the CRVTEC) Anyone have a good price on one or a used one. Radiatorbarn.com sells for 107

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yea I had mine go out and I put in a flyidine one because the stocks ones just seem to go out after a while and a good radiator will last. Plus it runs cooler. Installed it my self not a hard job at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a JDM Sir integram and the same sh*t happened. Its harder to get new radiators here but I'm gonna install the new unit today. Stay tuned for an update!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts