Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a 97 GS, and I dont have any kind of a front upper strut bar, or any strut bar. So my question is would it be worthwhile to buy a Type R stock front upper strut bar for my car? Will it fit?? Will I notice any difference when turning?? Should I save up and buy a better one?? And most imporantly, what exactly does it do??? And yes I did do searches, and read articles, but came up with nothing but a headach. So thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
improves handling -- not turning---
higher speed turning-- the type r will not fit directly you will have to drill r holes and use 4 bolts and studs to mount them ---
aftermarket good stuff : tenzo R, mugen, type r, GSR..
NO NO NO :::: DC sports, AC autotechnic, or the like --
make sure its tubular---
thats the main deal-- cheap mod that improves the look of your engine bay, and helps some if you have to take a hard corner---

what does it do -- it ties your two struts together so they push against each other when you turn, its like pushing your little sister while she's standing on one leg or while she's stable against the wall,l which is harder????

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm ok well I dont like the idea of drilling holes in my car right now. So I'll stay away from that. But how much are those other bars going to run me, because I can get the type R for $50, cant beat that.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Are you sure the LS chassis doesn't have the holes in it? I thought I remembered on my LS the holes just being plugged up by plastic pieces.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
is that from a real type R or a replica-- the real deal usually runs around 150 from what ive seen- if you can get it for that get me onw too---
i bought my tenzo for 25 used -- new is like 75 -80 for all of them

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
SurferX on Sep/11/02 said:
Are you sure the LS chassis doesn't have the holes in it? I thought I remembered on my LS the holes just being plugged up by plastic pieces.
The LS has predrilled holes to accept the oem itr bar and a plethora of other aftermarket bars. I don't know where all this drilling holes in your chassis stuff is coming from?? They are covered w/ cheesy little rubber plugs that can be removed in a matter of seconds w/ a screw driver or even your bare hands.

Don't beleive me? Click in my sig next to Mini-Me ("mini-likes chocolte") and there is a close up of the itr strut brace bolts in my LS engine bay.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK yea I see the plugs blueteg, was it very hard to get the bar mouned on there??? I guess I'll go ahead and get it, sorry I cant get everyone else one, its from my friend and he only has one.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
elitevapor on Sep/11/02 said:
And most imporantly, what exactly does it do??? And yes I did do searches, and read articles, but came up with nothing but a headach. So thanks for any help.
taken directly from SurferX's article of strut bars:
Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Connects the front strut towers in the engine bay. The most popular bar that enthusiasts purchase mainly because of it's effect to the looks of the engine bay. Be wary though, just because it looks nice doesn't mean it will perform. For front-heavy cars such as ours the chassis will undergo the majority of flexing in the front and a quality bar on top is a must.

Elite, it wasn't hard to mount at all. It bolts up in about 10-20 minutes

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright well my deal with my friend didnt work out, he decided to sell it to someone else for more money. Great, so I guess I'll just be looking for another aftermarket one. Any suggestions on where to look??? I've gone to modacar, and comtech, and there all just a bit to expensive. I'm lookin to spend under $100, and be good quality. Thanks again for everyones help.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Neuspeed 4 point,

its an excellent bar, affordable too. I got mine for cheap. Its the only strut brace that connects to the upper control arm bolts instead of the strut towers. I am told the upper contorl arms flex more in the turns than the strut towers themselves.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
for under a $100 neuspeed is tough to beat.

You can get a really nice one for $150-175. I wouldn't worry too much about this mod, as its effects are pretty tough to "feel" in everyday driving. It sounds like you're on a tight budget-If I were you I'd skip the strut bar and get an oem itr rear sway bar w/ BSQ mounting kit. For $200 or less you'll feel a much bigger improvement in your car's handling.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well now I've looked on ebay, and found both the itr strut bar and a gsr bar. I have a fealing the itr is a fake but heres the link to the gsr, it looks real, gsr swar bar. So now my question would be if both of these are the real thing, wich would be better to go with?? Or would I be better off with some other brand, I also found a tenzo R for $70.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
elitevapor on Sep/12/02 said:
Well now I've looked on ebay, and found both the itr strut bar and a gsr bar. I have a fealing the itr is a fake but heres the link to the gsr, it looks real, gsr swar bar. So now my question would be if both of these are the real thing, wich would be better to go with?? Or would I be better off with some other brand, I also found a tenzo R for $70.
sway bars and strut bars are two completely different things. We're talking about strut bars here.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
MisterGSR on Sep/12/02 said:
correcr me if i'm wrong, but the dealer told me that the bar is just to help a mechanic during services. true?
Go back to that dealer and give him/her a swift kick in the junk. That takes the cake for dumbest thing I've heard a dealer say.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oops sorry that really is a strut bar, I get the two confused. Yea that link is to a GSR strut bar, not sway, sorry.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK I just found a neuspeed strut bar for about $80 from their website. So I think I may go with that one or the type R. Any comments about that??? I may go with the type R for the front upper and neuspeed for other sway bars?? I dunno I'm begining to confuse myself somemore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts