Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been thinking about doing a retorfit for my g3 integra but I don't want to go through the hassle of cutting up my headlights. While I was opening my headlights, I notice that the projector lenses are real easy to remove. just two screws. My question is would I be able to just swap the stock integra projector lenses with some H.I.D. lenses from a tsx or maxima?

·
Registered
303 Posts
you can just swap out the projectors lens if they are the same size,but it won't be a true retro fit,because the projector housing would still be a halogen one,but it might give you some cool flicker(color change)i dunno,i did a full TSX retro on my teg, but i have a extra set of BMW projectors and a extra set of teg headlights laying around and was thinking about just swapping the lens and put them on someone elses car with a pnp kit and see how they turn out..

i think doing that just won't help the light distribution..

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
swapping out the lenses would do absolutely nothing for you. May even make more glare due to the lenses being more clear.

The point of a retrofit is to get the whole HID pojector into our head lights. If you want a quick an easy retro-fit, go with some TSX or BMW. They're small in size and would go into our headlights with the least cutting after you remove the old projector.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack, but what about installing HID's on a G2? Is it all just plug and play? Swap out halogen bulb for hids, badda bing badda bang?

Or do you have to have the stupid lens? lol

BTW, I know you gotta have the ballasts...

·
Registered
299 Posts
plug and play kits are "badda bing, badda boom", but they are not true HIDs, they cause glare, especially in a crome housing like yours because the light is reflected. Some states, they are illegal, and you can get pulled over because just your normal low beams can be blinding to oncomming drivers.

If you want TRUE HIDs, then get a projector from another vehicle (that has HIDs), along with the OEM ballast and bulbs. There are alot of threads, and DIYs on this on the internet. The only problem with these kind of set ups, is that they can run you for over $500, and you have to do it all yourself, while the plug in play kits you can get for under $150, and you are done in under 10 min.

·
Registered
303 Posts
EricDC2 on Sep/07/07 said:
plug and play kits are "badda bing, badda boom", but they are not true HIDs, they cause glare, especially in a crome housing like yours because the light is reflected. Some states, they are illegal, and you can get pulled over because just your normal low beams can be blinding to oncomming drivers.

If you want TRUE HIDs, then get a projector from another vehicle (that has HIDs), along with the OEM ballast and bulbs. There are alot of threads, and DIYs on this on the internet. The only problem with these kind of set ups, is that they can run you for over $500, and you have to do it all yourself, while the plug in play kits you can get for under $150, and you are done in under 10 min.
you can do a retro fit for for as cheap as you can find the parts on ebay for,i did mine for about $200 bucks ,i had a plug and play kit previously, and you can't even compare it to a real retro fit..

TSX projectors on ebay go for about $150 to 200then you should be able to get ballasts for about $100so i mean we are talking $300 for a retrofit, i personally think that Plug and play kits are a waste of $$$$

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have been doing testing on the Gen3 headlamps and only found one thing......... they suck for HID PNP kits. There is no way you will get what you want out of it with a KIT.

I only managed to get a sharper cutoff and some blue hint above the cutoff by swapping a Clear Lens in the OEM projector using a halogen bulb ... thats it. Focal point of the lens has a lot to do with it and you can not just swap any lens in there. Our lens are 3" in Diameter and then you have to look at the length of the Lens as well. Bulb placement is also a must and has to be the same as the Halogen Bulb which then you nee to mod ro adapt to the projector. Too much hassle.

You can only space the bowl from the bracket which causes undesirable results. The best thing to do is a retrofit. You can find the right parts for less with looking around on the net or ebay.

·
Registered
303 Posts
HeroOfTheDay on Sep/07/07 said:
Ok, so what I'm understanding is that if I buy one of these kits, I'm still gonna have to modify the inside of my headlight with a projector lens, most likely from a tsx or bmw.

BUT, would this be the same for a G2 though? It's a completely different shape...

if you just want a plug and play kit like that link you showed, you can just plug it to what you have now yes, but your stock headlights are just gonna shoot that light out everywhere and it won't look too good,to do a retro first you need to modify your housings to fit in projectors from a stock HID car, but then you run into the problem of the stock fluted lenses on DA's, a friend of mine sanded down a clear circle for the projectors, kind of a pain, your best bet would be to retro some aftermarket clear headlights, just sucks cause most look ugly! lol

your not just putting in projectors lens either we are talking the whole projector housing with the lens

·
Registered
303 Posts
i'm not gonna lie, first time doing a retro fit it's a learning thing and you might get frustrated, loads of info on this site, ht, and hidplanet.com forumsdo alot of reading, i would buy a extra set of headlights to modify and wait for a deal on some TSX projectors, then find some ballasts and take your time doing it,i did mine in a about a week working on it a little while watching tv everynight,now 3 or 4 of my close friends have done them on there cars now, 2007 civic, suburau legacey, silverado, tahoe and i'll tell you everyone i know that has done a retro has thought it was worth it, i can't go back to regular headlights again lol

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Yeah, I thought I had heard that some people had no problems whatsoever with their pnp kits.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the oem housing already be just right to shine light down onto the road?

Did you write the thread I was reading about the Phillips kit or something like that Dan?

·
Registered
133 Posts
sorry im a total n00b at HID's

but i ordered a plug and play kit (dumb i know, but thats all i could afford) and my question is, is there anyway to retrofit with a plug and play, like use the same ballast and use a different capsule to retrofit to a tsx or bmw 5-series for example

sorry im new to this lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
i did read that article already but what im saying is, if the ballasts are basically all the same (input/output), then is it possible to fabricate a retro fit using most, if not all of a plug and play kit?

sorry if this is confusing

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.