Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to start it off I have a 1992 ls hatch. It is a 5spd with the b18a1. My engine block is no good. After searching ive found a b18b1 block that has already been bored 20 over and has been machined flat and is ready to rebuild. My plan is to reuse my factory b18a1 bottom end but with the obvious change in piston size. I will be looking at a factory type piston unless I'm missing something here. I'll also be using my factory b18a1 cylinder head.

So now the questions. Can I use my b18a1 flywheel and clutch on the b18b1? It'll be running a b18a1 crank so I don't see why not as well as the balancer pulley. I'd presume that my i/m should work as well along with exhaust since it is still the a1 head. Do I use the a1 or b1 oil pump?

Id like some extra insurance here so I'll be sending the rotating assembly out to be weight matched and balanced. Ill also have the cams and rocker arms checked as well.
The big question though is boost. My plan is to boost the engine with a relatively small turbocharger since I'm only looking to achieve about 225-250 whp. What are your thoughts on internals? Anything im missing? Thank you for any useful knowledge you have to offer.

·
Administrator
3,904 Posts
You're going to be hit or miss with boost. 225-250whp sounds like it could be safe, but you're going to be using a bored block which now have thinner cylinder walls.

Yes you can utilize the flywheel and clutch between both blocks. Both engines are the same:
A1 = G2 Integra's
B1 = G3 Integra's

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the block is my worry here as far as boost goes? Are they really that weak after a small rebore?

·
Administrator
3,904 Posts
They're definitely "weaker" than what a normal size would be.

·
Registered
2001 Integra Type R
28 Posts
da9steve The block is really the least of your worries. It will hold fine. Remember that this is going to be a turbo engine now, so don't expect oem reliability. But the block will be fine at those power levels with proper tuning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your going though all this refresh with plans for boost. Why don’t you save a bit more and go with forged internals if you’re concerned about reliability?

Be aware the a1 head has smaller intake ports and slightly less agressive cam profile. With the work you plan on doing to the head, why not go with a b1 head as well?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Flywheel and clutch may fit. But may not. I'm not as well versed in G2 parts. But during a clutch replacement on a 96 b18b1, I accidentally purchased a 90-91 clutch kit. And the pressure plate didn't fit the pins on the flywheel. It's possible that 92-93 G2 parts are the same. But I would make sure that all the parts match in a clutch assembly.

I would check your old parts to make sure that the pins on the flywheel you're going to use fit your pressure plate to minimise down time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts