Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently purchased je/srp pistons to bring my engine to 8.5 compression ratio. as well i have also purchased a new head gasket, arp head studs, block guard, forged rods, and rod bearings. i am kinda excited because the shop said they could tune me to run 12 pounds of boost safely with my greddy emanage and profec e01.

i have some questions however. how many miles should i take to wear things in properly, and as well what is the proper way to wear in new parts on a FI Setup.?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'd say about 500-1000 miles of regular every day driving 55-65mph should wear it in just right. This is what I did when I had my LS/VTEC done. Your shop should have stated this to you. It is very important to break in a new engine build nice and slowly so you don't break any of your new parts or other oem parts. Good luck.
Oh yeah make sure you put regular oil in when you first build it the synthetic is too slippery for the cylinder walls after 500 miles or when the oil starts to get dirty change back to synthetic.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hakamoto on Feb/25/04 said:
I'm not trying to knock your setup, but why did you drop your compression to 8.5:1? I'm hoping it wasn't to only run 12psi.
I ended up purchasing those parts based on the shops reccomendations to make my FI setup more reliable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heres everything i have so far regarding mysetup.

greddy complete turbo kit
with 320cc injectors

greddy type 24 intercooler

greddy emanage
with injector harness
and with timing harness

profec e-01 controller

msd 6a ignition

egt gauge
a/f gauge

block guard

JE/SRP 8.5.1 compression rods
with barrings, seals and forged rods

ARP headstuds

new head gasket

centerforce dualfriction clutch

greddy turbo timer

edelbrock victor x manifold

bbk 70mm throttle body

i am eventually looking at building my head but for now this is pretty much my setup i will be running.

i stressed the main thing i am concerned of is safety and reliability of my setup.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Reliability w/out sleeves? I wouldn't suggest dropping your compression that low for 12psi. It's a little late now, but you can compensate for that w/a little more boost. I'm not sure how much the stock sleeves can handle. Also try listing what year/model your car is.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the shop said the bottom end is ussually reliable up to 14 psi without sleeving with proper building and tuning.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You could have went on a higher comp and it would still be reliable. Just got to have the right tuning.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
That sounds about right. I would just get it all done at once, if it's within your budget. But there is no need to drop compression that low, even if you were pushing 20psi. I would say that stock cr or even a 10:1 static CR would do well and could be tuned on pump gas.

·
Registered
305 Posts
8-10psi on 8.5:1 your going to hate it. Thae comp is not the main factor on reliablitiy as long as you keep a sane boost level. But it will be the tuning is going to make or break your motor not the comp ( if keeped reasonable)

·
Registered
305 Posts
What I mean is that let's say you have 10:1 cr. It would take less boost to get the same hp and it would also spool up quicker and your out of boost driving would be better. boost is not the reliability factor in you setup but tuning, and you could have have a higher cr and less boost and would be just as reliable with proper tuning

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just a ballpark figure but 8 pounds of boost on a 10:1 will be the same as 8.5:1 cr and 12 pounds. You kinda get the Idea

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ahh this shop is driving me nuts!! but will i still get reasonable power out of 8.5.1 compression if it is tuned well?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts