Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

first post here, hope you can help me.
I just got a used 1994 2d LS, and it's an awesome car :)

however, It only has the stock Acura radio/cassete deck. I want to be able to play CD's on it. Now I do have an aftermarker CD unit, but the stock one is pretty good too. I was wondering, how can I hook up a CD changer with the stock unit? is there a plug in the back for a CD unit? is it an FM modulated unit? does it have to be a specific make and model CD changer, or will any work?

Also, does anyone know the diameter of the stock speakers? I have some aftermarket ones that I might put in. I am assuming that I'll need to take the door/side panels off in order to get to the speakers, correct? is this a simple process? I tried looking through the articles, but didn't see much. I am hoping that this whole process could be a DIY job before I take it to Car Toys.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
6.5 for the stock speakers...and yes you will need to remove the door panels. Check the articles section on how to remove the door panels and put in an aftermarket head unit.

EDIT: Removing stock radio
Installing aftermarket radio
door panel removal

I am by no means handy, but I was able to install my stereo stuff on my own by using the articles listed...so save yourself a $100 and do it yourself.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Edited by SleepinTeg at 02/17/2004 12:17:28 AM
not too sure about hooking up the aftermarket CD player....but as far as the speakers they 6.5 all around...for the CD changer, i just went on crutchfield and there are aftermarket cd changers comaptible with the OEM head unit....check it out

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Just to add to cheezthis' post, yes you can add the acura cd changer, but what my frined has in his integra is he got an acura CD deck that jsut has one CD palcment on it and you just pop that right under your radio and it plugs in the back, but to tell ya the truth if you already have a aftermarket radio go wtih it, it will sound better.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
just a voice from experiance...what kind of headunit do you have (aftermarket) because most likely not only will you get you cd playing ability but the signal processing would be much better for you...this is just my opinion but I'd stick the aftermarket in rather then just throw in a changer.

Later,
Jared

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys,

I have a kenwood headunit, which is compatible with a kenwood CD changer, if I get that later (need time for money to grow on the trees). I just did a swap with the stock unit, it does sound better but the speakers are shot, so i'll get a set and install them myself. Car toys is gonna charge 105 just for installation!

thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
105 to install four speakers. they are making it 45 for the front pair and 60 for the rear pair. it's understandable because of all the panels all over the place, but if i'm only paying 60 bucks for the set of speakers I might as well just install them myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
it took me 45 min tops to do my rears, all i had to do was pop off the grilles and remove the 3 (or 4, cant remember) screws and pull the speaker out, cut and splice the wires, and put the new ones in. it was kinda a pain in the ass to try and do it through the grill opening tho, but it is doable, and a hell of a lot easier than removing the whole interior rear panels.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can buy an Alpine 6 disk changer (not AiNet) and a $20 adapter that plugs into the back of the deck (8 pin din if I remember correctly) and that'll allow you to play cds through your factory deck. You can also fit said changer into your glove box if you wish.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
whitegsr2000 on Feb/18/04 said:
it took me 45 min tops to do my rears, all i had to do was pop off the grilles and remove the 3 (or 4, cant remember) screws and pull the speaker out, cut and splice the wires, and put the new ones in. it was kinda a pain in the ass to try and do it through the grill opening tho, but it is doable, and a hell of a lot easier than removing the whole interior rear panels.
That method is not worth the risk of damaging the speakers when squeezing them through that tight space.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll see how the speakers fit in the grilles. may be doable. the grilles simply pop off, correct? (too lazy to search article right now)

First i'll need to buy the speakers though! gotta wait for the paycheck to roll in...

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Don't be lazy...if they're what, a click or two away.  If you're that lazy, then you probably are too lazy to do the work yourself.  Come on now...

In Reply To:
I'll see how the speakers fit in the grilles. may be doable. the grilles simply pop off, correct? (too lazy to search article right now)

First i'll need to buy the speakers though! gotta wait for the paycheck to roll in...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.