Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
it's still an automatic tranny, so it is never gonna be as fast as a manual. plus most of them lag without an upgraded aftermarket chip...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya well, what does make an automatic fast because people tell me they can get very fast?

·
Registered
897 Posts
lol no, automatics suck

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Accordig to senior members it doesnt matter, so it seems your wrong, I just wanted to see what youd say..

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
JiggyKooAndy on Sep/22/02 said:
it's still an automatic tranny, so it is never gonna be as fast as a manual. plus most of them lag without an upgraded aftermarket chip...
What kind of chip are you referring to. Cause most aftermarket chips only work for high horsepower cars and do nothing for our little 4 bangers.

Modifying your torque converter is a big step to getting some of that lost hp back. An upgrade one will work well with a shiftronic.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
you can get a shift kit which changes your torque converter to shift at higher rpm-- lengthens your gear ratio in a way i think00 i have heard of supras making massive power as autos but im not sure how and why-- i know it can be done and you can be fast-----
even faster than manuals--- how i dont know

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
95gsrturbo on Sep/22/02 said:
you can get a shift kit which changes your torque converter to shift at higher rpm-- lengthens your gear ratio in a way i think00 i have heard of supras making massive power as autos but im not sure how and why-- i know it can be done and you can be fast-----
even faster than manuals--- how i dont know
A shift kit does not modify your torque converter. Why would you want to put something on your car that makes your tranny shift at a higher point when it can do it all ready, just keep your foot on the gas.

·
Registered
897 Posts
what doesn't matter? and who are senior members? i've been around as long as most people on this site bud, automatics only "don't matter, or even help" on high horsepowered cars such as supras where the manual tranny can't handle the power past 400 hp while the auto can go to 550 or 600. on our cars the auto kills the power...there's a dyno on here to prove it somewhere...can't find it though.

·
Registered
897 Posts
he is talking about a shiftronic...there are chips out there that make shiftronic computers have almost no lag, but still it is a torque converter compared to a flywheel...and if your gonna spend big bucks to upgrade the converter why not just do a full out swap. in our cars, there's no point to have an auto tranny to go fast...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Autos can handle more power than manuals? Where did you get that one? I always thought that racing leagues like Nascar and Indy used manual trannys. Hmmmm, and those cars are 900 HP beasts, riding on an auto tranny. "Hey, Al Unser Jr, don't forget to put that in park!"

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
JiggyKooAndy on Sep/22/02 said:
he is talking about a shiftronic...there are chips out there that make shiftronic computers have almost no lag, but still it is a torque converter compared to a flywheel...and if your gonna spend big bucks to upgrade the converter why not just do a full out swap. in our cars, there's no point to have an auto tranny to go fast...
I don't have the kind of money to get a full out swap. Thats why I'm looking into just upgrading my torque converter, for a third of the price.

·
Registered
897 Posts
MrMoe on Sep/22/02 said:
Quote: JiggyKooAndy on Sep/22/02he is talking about a shiftronic...there are chips out there that make shiftronic computers have almost no lag, but still it is a torque converter compared to a flywheel...and if your gonna spend big bucks to upgrade the converter why not just do a full out swap. in our cars, there's no point to have an auto tranny to go fast... I don't have the kind of money to get a full out swap. Thats why I'm looking into just upgrading my torque converter, for a third of the price.
my god, some people are dumb, i was talking about getting a chip AND a torque converter.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Brian_Hanspard on Sep/22/02 said:
Autos can handle more power than manuals? Where did you get that one? I always thought that racing leagues like Nascar and Indy used manual trannys. Hmmmm, and those cars are 900 HP beasts, riding on an auto tranny. "Hey, Al Unser Jr, don't forget to put that in park!"
actually they have an f1 automatic transmission...paddle shifters. so technically it is an auto, they shift faster than manual. but if your gonna be a smart ass, yes STOCK automatics on supras can handle a lot more power than STOCK manual trannies. your dumb don't try to act smart.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Automatics can work on big engines with torque to spare, but on these jap 4 bangers which are designed to squeeze every last possible hp per cubic centi-meter, a auto tranny really puts the hurt on. While a manual GS-R stock has been known to run mid 15's with an experienced driver, autos are mainly relegated to low sixteens, and with an unmodified tranny many never get better than high sixteens. LS is even worse, stock auto LS often dont run lower than 17s, while a manual can at least reach low sixteens. The torque converter is basicly a compromise you decide to make, you trade power and responsiveness for convienence trucking around town.
Essentially my point is this: You guys are saying "but a 900hp supra uses an auto tranny!!!". Well our cars are hardly 900hp supras, and the power output of our excellent, albeit comparitvely weak motors cant justify the use of an auto tranny for the same reason that a 900hp supra can. The only reason honda made an auto tranny for the teg was convienence, not because the manual tranny can "only hold 400hp". Theres nothing wrong with having an auto, but dont get all defensive when someone says something about them being inferior on our cars performance wise.

P.S. Dont take those times I posted to heart, I really dont have time for some overyly defensive a-hole to start telling me how "their friend ran a such in such in their stock auto!!!" Those were just a mental averge of times I have seen ran on those cars, nothin else.

·
Registered
897 Posts
u r just assuming, right?...on the gsr at least, because they are only made in auto in japan i beleive...if there even. but other than that...you hit it right on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well guys I apreciate all the info, I gess the only way to go is to swap to manual, well how do i do that and about how much would it cost? And foremost importance is i worth it?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they made auto GS-Rs in Japan, and I've seen what was supposedly a JDM auto gs-r run down here at PIR. Although it may have been a poser with a fast auto LS ;-p.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
No theres other ways to go, you can switch torque converters, but I think you'll find that perfomance torque converters are just as expensive as a tranny swap, and wont give you the same gains as a manual tranny, at least thats what I've been told by people looking into the same things you are. Mainly the reason their as expensive is because the people that modify torque converters for performance vehicles do it mainly for the 900hp auto supras out there, who are willing to pay that much for it. Their not so much in the buisness for someone with a teg looking to improve their auto ;-p.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts