Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read SurferX's article about making your own CAI. In it he mentions that the resonator wasn't present in the pictures as he had previously removed it. What is the resonator, and what does it do? Why is it gone SurferX? For those of you who haven't read his article, the resonator mentioned is not the one on the exhaust system. Rather, the one located in front of the right front wheel well.

Woody

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
The intake resonator serves the same purpose as the exhaust resonator. Its purpose is to kill or muffle the intake note. You can see a picture of the resonator in his type R article. In there it shows a picture of what the itr airbox looks like vs. the non-ITR airbox.

Our cars come w/ this resonator. So he either removed it before the pics/install or for ease of illustration.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, I didn't find the picture you were talking about. But I think I know where it is on my car. I have a g1 but I think it is in the same place. Here is my question to confirm that. Does the resonator have a vaccum line going to it? As I rev the engine I see about a 2 inch diameter flap valve open? I couldn't tell you what rpm as I am under the hood and don't have a second person around. So, is this the resonator? If it is, does removing it increase airflow in the lower rpm's since that flap doesn't open until a good vaccum is present?

Woody

·
Registered
8,097 Posts

Since this picture is of a Type R the top of the resonator is slightly different. Instead of going back into the engine bay it keeps the inlet inside the fenderwell for cool air.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SurferX,

Is there any advantage to removing this (the resonator) while still running a stock intake? Even if is just sounds better I would take it out. Unless there are some disadvantages.

Woody

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
im running just an open airbox right now, no resonator, no piping back to the fenderwell, just the filter sitting in the box open

pretty much just a cheapass short ram in my opinion, but it sounds pretty nasty if you ask me

(btw before you do this make sure you get one of those H&N washable air filters cause mine gets pretty effin dirty)

·
Registered
374 Posts
So, what if I wanna take out the exhaust resonator? Isn't that in the actual exhaust piping? And can I take that out w/o major difficulty?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
You'd have to replace the b-piping. I have no idea why you would want to remove the exhaust resonator.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The exhaust resonator has nothing to do with the intake resonator. It is straight-through and does not restrict airflow in any way.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
Anyone know if you can put an ITR intake system on another model? Though it prob wouldn't make as much sense as just getting an AEM CAI...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
SurferX, did you remove your front bumper yourself? was it hard? When you put the front bumper back in, was it easy to put it back in or did you have a hard time putting it back in? Also was the fit perfect?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
No it's not hard. Just lots of bolts/screws to remove but it isn't bad. It goes right back to where it was, you'd never know I've taken it off a couple times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts