Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoon Sports: 0.79" Lowering back and front Front Spring rate: 363 lb/in rear spring rate: 307 lb/in.
Are those spring rates good and i dont get this whole spring rate thing, i understand that the higher the spring rate the better the performance but i would have thought that it would have been less performance.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Spring rate means how stiff they are. A higher rate indicates that it takes more force to compress the spring. You want your suspension as stiff as possible for superior performance, but you will sacrifice ride comfort. Generally you see springs with lower ride heights having the higher spring rates, in this case these springs are pretty stiff for the drop they give. You can compare them to others on the article we have, but I assume that is where you got them in the first place.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It's not really better or worse, it just depends what you want. I've heard good things about Spoon springs they are a pretty good OE replacement spring for general purposes, nothing too hardcore.

For spring rate, 363 lb/in means you would have to put 363 lbs onto the spring in order to compress it one inch.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are there better springs with better spring rates and better statisics? Sorry if i am really annoying, i just want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Depends on your budget and what's important to you.

Maximize for drag racing, auto-x, road course, or plain street performance?

Is ride comfort a concern?

Are you planning to get heavy duty expensive struts to withstand a higher rate spring?

And of course how low do you want to go?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
You can't expect someone to tell you what you should buy if you don't tell us what your needs/wants are. Answer the questions SurferX gave and maybe we can help you a bit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maximize for drag racing, auto-x, road course, or plain street performance? Street/Auto-x

Is ride comfort a concern? Eh... Not so much. I like a harsh ride.

Are you planning to get heavy duty expensive struts to withstand a higher rate spring? Depends on how expensive they are and how often i would have to replace them.

And of course how low do you want to go? I dont want to go that low considering this is my winter car too.

There ya go i hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The Spoons are good for Street/Auto-x. If you don't mind a harsh ride though you may want to look at something with a 400+ lb/in spring rate for a little extra performance. Of course the problem with that is that most 400+ lb/in springs are set with a pretty low drop so maybe the Spoons are a good alternative.

You won't need an amazing strut to handle the Spoon springs. They work pretty well on just stock Type R struts for street purposes. If you want the best auto-x performance with them though the Koni Yellows are adjustable in stiffness and have a lifetime warranty in case they happen to wear out. I doubt they ever will though. The Bilsteins are non-adjustable and are also very capable of lasting almost forever with those springs, not sure what kind of warranty comes with them though.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Spoons are progressive rate springs so the ride is good. The spring rate starts out a little soft and then stiffens up when it's pushed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts