Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles do the stock breaks last on average on a GSR? When should I start keeping an eye on them? How can I tell if they are wearing out? I want to replace the pads before I run into problems of warping the rotors. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
There really is no set life span as it depends on driving style. How hard you hit the brakes and how often you use them. A higway driven cars brakes would last longer than a city driven cars.

You can visually inspect the pads to see if they are worn or not. They also have a sensor that squeals when they are at the minimal level.

Some people have brakes last 2 years, some 6 months. All depends on the driving you do. Especially if you auto X or other track events.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Fronts do tend to wear out faster as they do most of the braking. And yes your rears will wear out or they are not working.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can I visually inspect them? How can I tell if they are worn out? I am about to hit 32,000 miles and the car is almost 3 years old. I am wondering how much longer until it will need brakes.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A visual inspection is all that is necessary. When you take off your wheel you can see the outer pad. To see the inner pads, there's a square cutout on the caliper that you can look through to see if your pad is worn. If you don't understand, then I can link pictures for you.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
fyberoptik on Mar/31/04 said:
I can tell you my fronts wore out around 18,800 mi, and the rears will never wear out.
not true, i killed mine after about 60,000 miles and a few autox/track days lol.
*edit-

helps if i read the whole post lol.

anyways, if you take off your tire and then look between the rotor/caliper you can see how much pad you have left. there is also a metal clip on them that will screetch when you are getting low.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
I still have my same nissin pads that came on my teg when I bought it ~35k miles ago (yes, fronts). No squealing yet... I'm going to change them before too long though... just because.

Has anyone else had their front pads last that long?

Also, is it true that slotted rotors cause pads to wear out a bit faster?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Hey dave, while you're at it, might as well show the BonzoAPD a shot of a set of worn pads vs a set of new pads. That way he'll know what to look for on a visual inspection; whether he needs a replacement or not.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
sak on Apr/01/04 said:
Hey dave, while you're at it, might as well show the BonzoAPD a shot of a set of worn pads vs a set of new pads. That way he'll know what to look for on a visual inspection; whether he needs a replacement or not.
I will do that. I'll take 'em tomorrow. I have to go pick up my new pads tomorrow...so the poopy ones are still on the car!!Not to worry though, it's not been driven, so I won't ruin those rotors.

But I will certainly post up some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My 99 GSR stock pads lasted 6 years and 50,000 miles. I did not have much stop and go traffic. I was using it for commuter car only though and I mainly had my foot on the far right pedal.

flip.

·
Registered
80 Posts
im at 45k miles and im still using stock.. i dont downshift when going to a stop.. but i do drive slow.. hehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts