Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently purchased two Infinity Kappa 12.1 Perfects.
The subs say 4OHM, 350RMS.

I was originally going to buy a 1200JBL amp but store doesnt carry it anymore, and i was browsing around for an inexpensive amp seeing that im short on cash and i saw this one at best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...21887&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03087

my question is will i be happy with this amp, it says 900 but will i really get 900 (450 to each sub) or no because my subs are 4ohm and this amp says 2ohm. any suggestions for other inexpensive amps? i know people say you get what you pay for. i plan on buying a nice 1200 kicker amp this summer, but i want something loud enough for the time being that will do the job just right

·
Registered
17 Posts
since this is a single channel amp you will have to run your subs parallel to eachother, basically connect the two (+) to eachother and (-) to eachother and then go to the amp. that will cut your ohm load down to 2, this amp will give you 300 watts rms at 2ohm's, the max is 900 watts. rf does tests and have i think they call them "birth certificates" that shows how much they actually put out for wattage and they are what rockford states for wattage. the subs want 700 watts together rms, which means they will be looking for 1400 watts max where as your amp will probably never give your subs 900 watts. For the time being i think you should be fine, i have heard good things about their amps, they arent like most other brands that lie about their power output. look on ebay first though, they always have good deals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently purchased the OV1200 watt Gothic Series Amp from Power Acoustik. It's 2-way with 1200w max and 225wX 2 at 4ohms. This receives my HIGH recommendation. There is NO way it's only putting out 225W, i have 2 Infiity 12" reference series, requiring 300W rms a piece, and this amp POUNDS(not even bridged), i only have it turned up slightly past 1/2 way, and it has no problems whatsoever. Just as a further example, i used to have an 820W amp of the Gothic Series as well, with 2 Infiniti 10" reference series rated @ 1000W max, and it blew one of them out. I paid something like $165 after shipping, from aaxes.com. GREAT VALUE, i know kids with MTX and Rockford Fosgate, but I'd still take a Power Acoustik. for the price it can't be beat!

·
Registered
286 Posts
That rf will only give 300 total. 900 is just wishful thinking. Rms is the rating you want to look at. Peak isn't really useful for anything. I think 300 with two 12's should be enough for now unless you want it really loud. I had 2 10's with 240 and it was too much. But too much is just my opinion.

·
Registered
280 Posts
the amp is what totaly matters i install saubs and amps almost every day and get to hear everything. The amp is what matters. i say let your subs go for a rew weeks and save a little more money cause if you under power them to much you will blow the subs at a high volume. when you under power your subs the voltage and wattage will be down which makes the amps go up and when this happens subs or speakers will blow or catch fire your best bet is to over power them a little and turn the gain down and to save a little more money to get an alpine or and audiobahn. I had a set of those and trust me you need to give them what they want. 800 plus. a few other notes on this is you are going to want some good speaker cable and power cable and in my teg i need a CAP(i got a G3 and it cant handle the extra amps) so you will prob want one too if you want some hard bass or else it will either be to boomy or it will just suck. if im too confusing just ask me some questions. Its hard to state everything short and sweet. there is an entire science to this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Listen listen listen, that is the advise I will give to you. The main thing is to find an amp that isn't working to hard to get the volume and sound quality you are looking for. You don't want to have the gains set at full bore just to get some huge bass. All that leads to is distortion, which kills speakers. Keep in mind what sounds great in the store will sound different in your car. If you have any questions feel free to pm me for more info. The one thing I stress is to listen for yourself and be comfortable with what you hear, everyone is different and has different tastes on how music should sound. With that, I bid you good night.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Edited by 90_integraLS at 02/28/2004 06:50:16 PM

In Reply To Version 4 User:
the amp is what totaly matters i install saubs and amps almost every day and get to hear everything. The amp is what matters. i say let your subs go for a rew weeks and save a little more money cause if you under power them to much you will blow the subs at a high volume. when you under power your subs the voltage and wattage will be down which makes the amps go up and when this happens subs or speakers will blow or catch fire.....

If the gain is set correctly you don't have to worry about this like your saying
 the gain is the determining factor on this for the most part.  You can blow a sub by underpowering it and having the gain set to high which will cause the amp to clip can blow it but if everything is set correctly it's fine.

Later,
Jared

EDIT: thought I'd throw this in

Sony XM-D1000P5 900x1 @ 2ohms $154.95...just bought this (from this seller) and it works VERY well.  You'll need to make sure the gain is sett correctly or you'll blow the subs as this will put out 200rms more then they will be able to handle.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
ajinct on Feb/29/04 said:
it is usualy good to double the rms.
WHAT...only if he has two subs would he want to double the rms...I hope thats what you are saying...but a sub can run fine on a 1/6th of its capable rms normally and you not have to worry about it...as long as the amp isn't set so high it's constantly clipping and thats just cause it sends one big POP to the sub....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just to kinda settle things he'll want an amp capable of producing right around 700 watts rms @ 2 ohms (you could get amps that do 350 rms x2 @ 4ohms but it'll be a lot cheaper to get one capable of 700 watts @ 2ohm) So that should settle the debate of what he needs the amps to run @ PEAK performance but make sure the shop tunes it right (or rather sets the gain right) and if you opt for a ported box make sure they get a 15 or 20 hz subsonic filter put on or you'll damage the subs as well.
Later,
Jared

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.