Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new 98 bumper and on ebay found a company that sells aftermarket oem bumpers. Has anyone had any experience with them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-01-INTEGRA-FRoNT-BUMPER-PAINTED-TO-MATCH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33640QQitemZ8032545316QQrdZ1

I emailed them and they say the fitment is good, use 3 base coats, 3 clears w/flex additive. Bumper is made of urethene. It sounds like a good deal. Has anyone had experience with them? and if so how was it? Thanks and I'm not sure what forum to put this under so please move it if I put it in the wrong one.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
ive never dealt with them but i have dealt with pershing auto body on ebay and they have great pre painted body parts. ive ordered fenders and a rear bumper for a civic from them. excellent paint and fitment.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
fergy016 on Jan/28/06 said:
yes a flex agent. This should be put into paint used on plastic parts so there is a lil more give in the paint I believe.
You do know what an adhesive is don't you? Its glue... last i checked people put flex additive in their paint, not adhesive.... LOL... I hope that it was just a misworded statement on the post starters end here and not the seller... cause if its the seller i would be very worried....

Flex additive really isn't necessary... It actually just stays in the paint for a short time and evaporates out as the paint cures. Designed to help when fitting/installing a painted plastic part, not for longevity. Decent paint shouldn't have a problem flexing with the plastic, you can bend a uretane lip all around and the paint stays fine unless you purposely try to wreck it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
i am going to disagree....

Flex agent is to prevent flaking from plastic streching and expanding from heat/cold conditions.. and for small parking lot bangs.

thats what my autobody teacher told me.anyway ..

·
Registered
685 Posts
integrapunk67 on Jan/28/06 said:
Quote: fergy016 on Jan/28/06yes a flex agent. This should be put into paint used on plastic parts so there is a lil more give in the paint I believe.

You do know what an adhesive is don't you? Its glue... last i checked people put flex additive in their paint, not adhesive.... LOL... I hope that it was just a misworded statement on the post starters end here and not the seller... cause if its the seller i would be very worried....

Flex additive really isn't necessary... It actually just stays in the paint for a short time and evaporates out as the paint cures. Designed to help when fitting/installing a painted plastic part, not for longevity. Decent paint shouldn't have a problem flexing with the plastic, you can bend a uretane lip all around and the paint stays fine unless you purposely try to wreck it.

Yes I realize I used a different word then the post starter, that was on purpose. I disagree, I believe that the additive is like a flux for solder. It is to help the paint bond to the plactic and give it more of a flexible nature.
Quote: 84Riceeater on Jan/28/06 i am going to disagree....

Flex agent is to prevent flaking from plastic streching and expanding from heat/cold conditions.. and for small parking lot bangs.

I agree with you. It gives the paint more of an elastic nature then without it. Not saying that it is like a saturns door and wont dent/chip.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I actually ordered this bumper about 2 weeks ago...I've yet to get it...5 days my ass...but hopefully I will get it soon next week...I will post up how it looks as soon as I get it...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
fergy016 on Jan/28/06 said:
Quote: integrapunk67 on Jan/28/06Quote: fergy016 on Jan/28/06yes a flex agent. This should be put into paint used on plastic parts so there is a lil more give in the paint I believe.

Yes I realize I used a different word then the post starter, that was on purpose. I disagree, I believe that the additive is like a flux for solder. It is to help the paint bond to the plactic and give it more of a flexible nature.
Quote: 84Riceeater on Jan/28/06i am going to disagree....

I agree with you. It gives the paint more of an elastic nature then without it. Not saying that it is like a saturns door and wont dent/chip.

you guys do realize that integrapunk DOES PAINT right? he has written articles on here concerning his painting expirience... no offense but id trust him first, before a shop teacher. my shop teacher didnt know nutz about body... they re not specialized, and as a body and paint technician, punk is specialized

·
Registered
685 Posts
guess I will go with integrapunk, I honestly have heard through different ppl. If he deals with it first hand, then I would consider him the pro.

Integrapunk, can you get more in depth what this additive is for then. please?

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
mrimmortal01 on Jan/29/06 said:
yes the mis spell was on my part, sorry about that... Just got home and realized I did that lol. So from what it sounds the fitment and quality is good?
Thats good, because if it was the seller i would be scared to buy from them lol.

Flex agent was designed to be used to help fit plastic parts after they have been sprayed when putting them on the car. Which really isn't all that necessary, in fact, between the two shops im at, we dont even have any and never have had any. Paints flexible enough without it, if you have to worry about cracking its because the paint didn't get prepped right, or you're probably gonna have more to worry about than just cracked paint if ya know what im sayin... To be used properly flex additive needs to be used in both the primer and the clear, otherwise its really not all that functional, you don't put it in base however. You wouldn't even want to see what i did with my urethane ITR lip before i put it on my car if you're worried about flex agent LOL....

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
From PPG's P-Pages on DX814 Universal Flexiblizer:

"DX814 Universal Flexibilizer when used as recommended will form a coating that will withstand the customary abuse of impact and flexing in topcoats and undercoats during and after installation of the part"

While not written into the P pages specifically, the flexiblizer will only last temporarily in the paint. If you have problems installing the part with "impact and abuse" i think you may end up having more paintwork ahead of you if it requires the use of flexiblizer to install a part.......

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alright well I decided I would go with these guys.. This afternoon the bumper arrived. Paint was perfect, matched well, exactly the same as my other one... EXCEPT there was a chunk missing at the corner. I called as soon as I noticed, and they were closing so I have to wait until monday to get this sorted out... Not sure what exactly will happen, but they better send me a new one, or give me my money back. The quality looks good, it looks as though the part missing was broken off before shipping because it was wrapped so tight it wasn't shippd broken. I'll keep you all posted on what happens...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.