Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know how to search for this or what to call this post. But heres my deal. I'm going to be ripping apart my engine to replace the timing belt soon. While I was at it i was going to replace my stock: cam gears, cam shafts, and crank shaft with aftermarket ones. But my question is that since down the line I want to do a LS/VTEC conversion will I be able to use the aftermarket goodies listed above in the LS/VTEC. Or will the LS/VTEC call for different cams and cranks?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well since you'll be swapping on a V-tec head you will need V-tec cams... Cams made for a VTEC head. Also with the money you will spend on goodies for the teg now... you could use a lot more efficiently down the road with your ls/vtec.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Like Scott said, you would need vtec cams for the swap you plan to do later. We have an excellent article under Performance: Enginei that will help you out in this area. Also do a search for Ls/vtec or check out the common topice in the performance section.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically I should wait until I'm ready for the LS/VTEC. Because I will have to buy non-vtec stuff now and then i would have to buy vtec stuff for the conversion? So it looks like a waste of money if you ask me to do it twice.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Carl.

we have a thread entirely devoted to the LS VTEC with all the links on the web and all the info you need for the build up, including what parts you can get (stock or aftermarket). This thread was placed in what we call the COMMoN TOPICS.

We created the COMMoN TOPICS (CT) to save people time so that they don't have to search for Frequently Asked Topics. They don't even have to search!!! Each forum has it's own CT. The Performance Forum has a bunch of these. You may want to scan the topics there first to do some research before posting. It may already give you the info you need in detail and is correct (not a guess).

We also have an article entirely devoted to parts swapping into an engine to change the CR or the rod ratio or the bore to stroke ratio or the displacement. It explains why changing these are an advantage. They are basic principles for anyone seriously interested in changing their internals and understanding WHY they should do certain things.
the aftermarket parts for the block.

VTEC aftermarket parts can only work with the VTEC head as was stated above by one of the members. However you don't necessarily have to use nonVTEC aftermarket parts in the block.

The article tells you the "rules" for engine building in terms of which VTEC parts can and cannot go into a nonVTEC block. Secondly the article gives you what measurements you need to know in the engine build up. You have to be aware of these.

Lastly, you should know WHY you do something before you do it and what the pluses and minuses of each choice are. To do that, you must know the details and the principles. That's why it takes a lot of reading and research IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT IT.

Building an engine isn't about buying a part without understanding how that part relates with other parts. We call this engine packaging or engine combination. If you just only focus in on an aftermarket part and the false idea of "bigger = better or more power" without understanding how they work together then, you can end up with an engine that has mismatched parts and makes less power.

on the top of the Performance Forum we have a pinned sticky thread called New Members Wanting Intense Learning. It has a series of links to great threads on TI ( NO SEARCHING! IT's DoNE FOR YOU!!) that teaches you these ideas and details , step by step, as you read the threads. If you don't understand anything then just ask us on the forums.

We ask you to work and read here.

We're not like the other honda boards that way. The info is here already.

We just ask you to read them and the forums are here as a place for you to ask the experienced people about anything you didn't understand during these readings.

Try it, if you are serious about improving your understanding of how to make your teg faster.

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts