Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got an OEM type-r lip off of a 2000 yellow type-r. my car is black, and im worried about chipping on the lip. if the bodyman was to just paint the lip black, overtop of a yellow base... would the chips show yellow? should i sand down the paint? then paint it black?

chipping is going to happen, becouse i live up north where snow and sand are normal for 6 months. plus, the car is going to become a snowplow on some of the heavier snowfall days.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
all you have to do is sand down the clear coat and some of the yellow base coat than spray sealer over it before you spray the black base coat over. you should also wet sand it the day before it gonna be painted. if you gonna have a shop do it for you than they should know what to do before painting it.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I'll tell you my experience with that.

I had a Championship white ITR lip painted by acura repainted by my body shop to put on my car. It's a good body shop, i don't know what type of prep they did, i wish i did.

This is what it looks like now:

All those little white specs are paint chips from highway driving.

on the second pic you can see where i made some serious contact and it damaged all the way to the black urethane.

My body shop guy looked at it recently and said there was some new additive to the paint that he's using so if i get it done by him again (new lip), it wouldn't chip as much.

The factory paint is REALLY on there. none of those small chips affected the white, only the most severe damage.

just wanted to share my experience :) sorry i don't have more info on what would prevent this. At least you know what a lip would look like with rock chips

it looks terrible in person, and i'd also like to know what type of prep work of previously painted pieces would prevent this.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
hpracing007 on Feb/06/06 said:
I'll tell you my experience with that.

I had a Championship white ITR lip painted by acura repainted by my body shop to put on my car. It's a good body shop, i don't know what type of prep they did, i wish i did.

This is what it looks like now:

All those little white specs are paint chips from highway driving.

on the second pic you can see where i made some serious contact and it damaged all the way to the black urethane.

My body shop guy looked at it recently and said there was some new additive to the paint that he's using so if i get it done by him again (new lip), it wouldn't chip as much.

The factory paint is REALLY on there. none of those small chips affected the white, only the most severe damage.

just wanted to share my experience :) sorry i don't have more info on what would prevent this. At least you know what a lip would look like with rock chips

it looks terrible in person, and i'd also like to know what type of prep work of previously painted pieces would prevent this.
Your lip looks almost identical to mine, but I painted mine myself. It was originally CW and I sanded it down and did 3 coats of base(spray can), and 2 coats of NBP(du pont spray paint). I'm not sure if that is good for me, or bad but you- but I am not trying to add insult to injury.

However, I drive 400+ miles of interstate per week, so this is expected.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im thinking i should sand off all of the yellow, so i dont have to repaint the lip often. black car + black urathane = goodness.
but i do ask, urathane is suseptible to heat soak when sanding, which will deform the lip. how should i combat this? hand sand with water? or air sanders along with water dips?
then after sanding, what kind of paint sealent should i use?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i just posted about ebay bumpers because the person who owned my car before me got a red bumper and painted it black. now its starting to chip and its red underneath. it looks like hell!not joking

·
Registered
388 Posts
They have the clear plastic overlay available for Tegs but I can't remember what it is called. They are some tough stuff. I had one on the front of my Jeep and it protected the paint no matter what I threw at it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.