4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a quality pwr str pump.
I've had 3 AutoZones , all make noise

What's the best remanufactured pump?

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you can get (or still have) a used OEM pump, you can rebuild it with Honda parts. There are a number of Honda parts retailers online that will be 30% to 40% cheaper than walking up to the parts counter at your local dealer. You would just need to confirm that the parts for that pump are not discontinued.

If that's not an option, I've had luck buying "premium line" parts for things like alternators, p/s, and water pumps. Something like a "Napa Gold" or "Napa Professional". Sometimes you can check RockAuto for premium parts and the part numbers will work as interchange part numbers at your local stores. Be careful actually buying from RockAuto because parts shipping it both ways can get pretty expensive if you get a noisy pump from them. Good luck

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you're going to stick with remanufactured, it's a crap shoot. I looked up a pump for a '99 GSR on RockAuto and the BBB Industries reman pump is the one that has the same pictures that I see when I go to AutoZone's website. They have another reman pump that's made by Cardone. Maybe advance or O'Reilly's sells the Cardone pump. I'm sure you know this, but for those who might not, You do need to use Honda specific power steering fluid. Hth

·
Registered
1 owner, garaged,. 175k miles, runs great Stock except cat back and header DC
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...thanks for your input.
I tried finding a shop willing to rebuild my stock pump but no interest

·
Registered
258 Posts
Roger that. I rebuilt mine and it was pretty straightforward. ...and messy. Wear your crappiest "working on car clothes". But it wasn't a difficult job if you have the factory service manual (which might still be available online?) and basic tools. The big question will be is the parts are still available from Honda. I think I ordered all of my stuff from Delray Acura in Florida, but I'm closer to the east coast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts