Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever attempted to put subs in the rear speaker area. I was thinking about maybe putting 2 8" subs back there, to save trunk space and eliminate the box so I wouldnt have to worry about too much dead weight.

I was thinking about making it come out a lil and cover it nicely with plexy glass.

let me know what u think and if you have a similar setup.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Can it be done, yes. Anything can be done with the right amount of money and a little imagination.

Do I suggest it, no. Why not? Because the area in the side panel is too tight for a sub, it doesn't have the right dimensions to produce a quality bass.

Want to save weight? Get a bass tube, you have amp & sub in one.

·
Registered
441 Posts
if your talking about repacing the 6 1/2s with 8 inch subs, good luck getting them to fit. As for subs with out a box they wont sound good at all if your worried about truck space look in articals theres a great oneon a DIY spair tire sub box, no spare, no jack less "dead weight"

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know but i need the spare tire (never know when u have a flat)

but the thing is, about it fitting I would make it come out a lil, and have plexy glass structure to hold it, and use dynomat inside the panels to make the subs sounds better.

think it's worth it?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I don't really think its worth it Deadlock.
I'd say just get some subs that don't require hardly any air volume (in the box), so it doesn't take up much space in your trunk.

ps. I'll talk to my buddy tomorrow for a price on that immobilizer.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I guess I'll get rid of my bandpass box with 2 10", it's too heavy, I think I'll get a sealed box with one 12" instead.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a similiar idea; i was thinking of putting in twin 8" subs but in boxes and then sliding them under the front seats. Does anyone think that would work or will they not fit? will the sound quality stink? I'm always hauling alot of stuff so I really don't want to lose any trunk, or lose the spare. any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
suggestion: loads of custom work, 2 8"'s wont give you much boost in bass, plus you won't be able to get the necessary air volume to get the most you can out of said speakers

·
Registered
151 Posts
I BEG TO DIFFER ABOUT THE 8 NOT GIVIN ANY BASS.

Get you a bass tube like the bazooka tube. You can find one somewhere. look on ebay.

then put a jl 8 in the tube.

that's what i did. Got a JL W6 8" in a bazooka tube. People can't believe that it is an 8. hits pretty deep too. That port really helps too.

no space takin up either.

sig

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
paulsig on Jan/21/03 said:
I BEG TO DIFFER ABOUT THE 8 NOT GIVIN ANY BASS.

Get you a bass tube like the bazooka tube. You can find one somewhere. look on ebay.

then put a jl 8 in the tube.

that's what i did. Got a JL W6 8" in a bazooka tube. People can't believe that it is an 8. hits pretty deep too. That port really helps too.

no space takin up either.

sig
if you read my reply, the 8"'s in the situation he suggested would not be much of any gain since there's no airspace there.....

read next time

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would have to agree with Steve that 2 8's in the rear panels wouldn't work to well. I think that even a free air speakers wouldn't sound that good if you mounted them in the stock locations. Deadlock the single 12" with a sealed box would be a good idea. I think you'll be happy with that setup. Gurasek I don't think even the smallest truck boxes would fit under the seats. I know that my 6 disc Alpine changer wouldn't fit under there so I doubt that a set of 8" subs will work.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
the suggestion i replied to was:
I was thinking of putting in twin 8" subs but in boxes and then sliding them under the front seats. Does anyone think that would work or will they not fit? will the sound quality stink?
8"'s where the rear speakers are would be all right, but doing so correctly is way over most DIY'ers heads

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you ever considered 6" subs? JL and kicker make them. There is very little room but with some fiber glass and a saw I don't see it being too hard. Also a good 8 wouldn't take more than 1/3 FT^3. With a spacer that doesn't seem hard to achive. I have been thinking of doing this because I am into imaging more than loud bass. If I end up doing it I will post pics.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
this is for morning Z--
i did a search first-- yaaayy--- and came up with this old thread--
ive been thinking about this recently-- and i see that you say that there is not much air space-- yet you did a custom 8" install into your doors -

I dont see how there is plenty of room for 8's in the door but not in the rear 1/4 panel.. could you please explain? unless you are aiming at the fact that they would not be as deep as in a box/tube?
thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is plenty of room in the back 1/4 panels on a G3 when you take the panelling off. Where the speakers sit is just a little plastic tray that is bolted onto the panelling. once you take that out there is enough room that you could probably mount a 10' in there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey, lets forget about the stock locations for a moment. Now think, the often neglected package tray holds decent potential, the subs would have the whole hatch as airspace, you could angle them slightly forward to avoid direct firing directly toward the hatch glass, then use speaker grilles and/or tinted rear glass to avoid melting of the sub on hot days. It would be a very clean install while still keeping weight down and style up. That's what I will do when I get my subs and amp in about a month and a half.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I have 2 8" JL subs boxed in the trunk that fits perfectly in the little nitch underneath the privacy panel and before the trunk widens out. There's still a lot of room to put stuff in the back. For example, I could fit 2 golf bags full of clubs in my trunk with my subs. Can you picture that? Let me know if you can't and I'll try to get a digi pic posted here by next week.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Pandaemonaeon on May/14/03 said:
There is plenty of room in the back 1/4 panels on a G3 when you take the panelling off. Where the speakers sit is just a little plastic tray that is bolted onto the panelling. once you take that out there is enough room that you could probably mount a 10' in there.
i dont doubt that it will fit but how will it sound with little air space? thats the important part-- hell with some work you could make a custom enclosure for a 15 but why? i do see what you are saying though

1 - 20 of 26 Posts