Team Integra Forums banner

Push Button Start made easy!

43K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  jdmgsr4dr 
#1 ·
Well after following posts about a DIY push button start, i have decided i will gather information from a few and compile them into this one, i fussed with my setup for 6 hours to realize the old posts were incorrect, as well as confusing. As a result i have created a diagram which makes perfect sense out of the whole thing. I hope this will help anyone on the fence about doing this project, because it is badass to have, and is an added safety feature to your teg :D

1. To start, disconnect your battery, remove your fuse panel cover, coin tray above it, and if you need a little extra room, the steering hub cover.

2. There are two phillips screws along the bottom edge of the lower dash cover (knee plate). Remove them. Look in where your coin tray was, remove the screw in there... and tug on the panel to free it.

3. Next, you will look at the loom of wires running from the steering hub, from there it divides into 2 looms with rubber conduit. From one of those looms, you will see the Black/White tracer wire. (not to be confused with white/black tracer).
The other loom is a little thicker, and will have the black/ yellow tracer wire in it. Using a small blade, carefully cut the conduit so you have room to work with these wires.

4. Now carefully pop out the Cruise control button using a flathead screwdriver, (assuming you have removed the CC systems) being careful not to damage the soft and delicate dashboard or button collar. Pull it out, and cut the two red wires wherever. you will not be using those. Also cut the Black, Green, and B/Y wire, leaving room for splicing/crimping later. Remove any unnecessary wires from this area.

5. on the Metal plate/bar that runs by your knees, you will see two bolts, i recommend running the ground and as well bolting the relay down to those. It will provide a clean and reliable install to ensure your car will start everytime :D
**if you would like to relocate your push button start to the right side of the steering wheel, you will need to
keep in mind wire lengths for routing and secure positioning.

6. Locate your fuse panel (duh.) Look along the top edge and you will see male ends. These are 12v power supply's. I have tested them all, and found that you will either have to use the one to the far left, or the far right. You will need to use a female connector and run a 12v wire to the relay in the following step.

7. Well, the easiest way is just to take a peek at this diagram i have composed. It should be very self explanatory. Wire up all of this as shown, using proper crimping, soldering and splicing techniques to provide reliable connections, as well as the proper relay and guage wire. I believe that 18 to 22 guage will work, i would recommend using the thicker of those on the wires running to the starter/ignition.

As noted in the diagram, Integra CC switches are toggles, not momentary. You can make it momentary i believe, says MeltMan. You must strip the switch down to the circuit board, and disconnect the 'click' mechanism and remove the copper stopper piece. Using a non-modified switch, you must push it and push it again after your teg has kicked over. Or push it very lightly and release. Its not as much of a pain as it sounds.

With this installed, i enjoyed the fact that the turn of the key was deactivated, it provides added security for those that use the CC toggle switch... if it isnt painted or moved. As the last place anyone would check to start a vehicle >.<
Second, its just pretty badass i think.

Well i hope this helps. If i have forgotten anything, please note, this is my first instructional.

See less See more
#5 ·
AbsoluteSpeed on Jun/03/10 said:
Do you have the the part number for that for the 30A relay?
I have tried a few places in town and it looks like I'll have to order one in

It's just a simple Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) relay. You can pick them up at any auto-parts store, as well as Radio Shack.

#7 ·
Thanks to you quick reply I got one at part source for $6
All in all I should have this thing done for $40

That includes the ten bucks for a pig tail from a floppy disk as my local salvage yard, where I got the button, didn’t want to cut the harness on their s2000

#8 ·
Quick question, I’m trying to figure out what three pins to use
Is the picture of the button from the top looking down or the bottom?

Oh and just in case anyone gets a button without a piece of the harness go get a connector for an old floppy disk!
I read it in another thread on here, it is a four pin connector but it works awesome it even holds in there nice and tight!!

#9 ·
its not really directional... those are just the 3 wires coming out of the cruise button on our tegs. if you were to pull it out you would see those wires. i haven't dealt with the s2k buttons myself, nor the floppy drive 'retrofit'

#10 ·
platinumridah93 on Jun/03/10 said:
when using the above method and parts, do you still have to turn the key to the "on" position then push the button to start the car or will everything be controlled by the button?
yes... to start the car, you must turn the key to oN (II), you will see the dash lights, then you push the button. The III position on the key is inactive now. hence, an added security feature in a way.

#11 ·
BGPStunna on Jun/06/10 said:
Quote: platinumridah93 on Jun/03/10when using the above method and parts, do you still have to turn the key to the "on" position then push the button to start the car or will everything be controlled by the button?

yes... to start the car, you must turn the key to oN (II), you will see the dash lights, then you push the button. The III position on the key is inactive now. hence, an added security feature in a way.
oh aight well i already did this over 2 years ago, only my method is totally different.

#13 ·
ahcapone on Jun/08/10 said:
Nice write up. Not as secure as the OP makes it sound but it does add some security. I've been thinking about doing this but it's pointless since you still need the key, IMO.
I agree. Still a great write up, but it would be amazing if there was a way to somehow wire it up like the new TL's, where its proximity based.

#14 ·
Jonny96LS on Jun/08/10 said:
Quote: ahcapone on Jun/08/10Nice write up. Not as secure as the OP makes it sound but it does add some security. I've been thinking about doing this but it's pointless since you still need the key, IMO.

I agree. Still a great write up, but it would be amazing if there was a way to somehow wire it up like the new TL's, where its proximity based.
I found this a while back, but never followed up on it yet.

link

#16 ·
The benefit of the mod i have elaborated upon is the fact that it requires little cost and time. For someone who is undecided about trying to mod a push button start, this is a helpful resource.

As well, the 'Digital Guard Dog' is convenient. Also realize the hefty $399.00 price tag, on top of your original security system. Genius? Yes i can give it that. Budget friendly? Not so much.

I'm nowhere near an expert on security systems, or the aforementioned product, so correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe dependence on batteries, as well as problems with leaving your car in gear and it taking off... fail.

#17 ·
Just to clarify that drawing of the button is as if you are looking at the bottom of it
Instead of just cutting the black/white white and re-routing it i just spliced into it so I have the use of the key as well
I seldom use the button and I have only had it for a week.. but it was a fun project that cost less than $50

BGPStunna on Jun/09/10 said:
I'm nowhere near an expert on security systems, or the aforementioned product, so correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe dependence on batteries, as well as problems with leaving your car in gear and it taking off... fail.
That is the same for any security/remote starter though

#18 ·
Man, big THANK YOU to the OP this is a sweet lil' addition to my ride but I really want to make it a momentary switch. I pulled the CC switch apart down to the circuit board saw the plastic lil stick switch but from there I do not understand how to disconnect the 'click' mechanism and remove the copper stopper piece to make it a momentary switch. How do I disconnect the 'click' mechanism and remove the copper stopper piece? Thanks a ton to everyone!

#20 ·
yekim416 on Nov/02/10 said:
is there anyway if i mess up to take it all out? like is ther ignition wire harness extenders or something? i want to try this diy but im scared of messing something up and my car wont start
If you do mess something up, ignition switch harness is like 40 bucks. Just do it right. Its really easy, I bought an S2000 push start kit on ebay for like 60 bucks 2 years ago, Im sure he still has them, It includes the full push start button, relay, harness, already pinned with the necessary wires coming out of it that match up to the wires needed to tap into. and instruction manual. It was basically a plug n play kit.

#23 ·
Didnt work for me using the cruise button

I wired this to my cruise button instead of the s2k. Would the wires be different? Im not getting power to the button. I show power on the 30 post on the relay but none of the other posts show connection. So What gives? Should I wire onto different wires off the cruise button?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.