Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking off at the lights and was pulling about 6500 revs before I changed outta 2nd. My friend who was following in his Mazda said later he said he saw a small puff of white smoke. Does anyone know is that normal? My engine is standard B18C and the engine was at normal operating tempreture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
do you have an aftermarket exhaust system? cuz i know at high rpm shifts my EVO will blow a puff of smoke, but usually its a black smoke.

·
Registered
136 Posts
White Smoke = Coolent is leaking into the engine. Prolly cause your block is cracked.

Black Smoke = Your car is running rich (to much fuel) and the half burn fuel hydrocarbons are being ejected out the tail. This is very bad for your Catalytic Converter.. and perormance

Blueish Smoke = Your car is buring oil. This is caused by the piston rings allowing oil to pass by into the combustion chamber or the valve seals are dryed/damaged.

I think that's about it for the different types of smoke and the reasons ...

VTI-R: check your coolent levels to be sure... if your car is burning coolent then the coolent levels will be down..

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yeah white smoke is coolant burning off. But it doesn't mean something as serious as your block is cracked. It could just be you need a new headgasket. Check your coolant level and take it from there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So if you have some black deposits on your tail pipe all the time and sooty spark plugs it would be fair to say that you are running rich? I am not to rich bc I just passed inspections. So how would I go about fixing that?

97 gsr

·
Registered
136 Posts
powerbarRacing: it's ok to run a bit rich ... it's alot better than running lean (*bang goes the motor*).. So it is normal for the motor to run a bit rich and leave soot in the tailpipe.. however, if when your at full throttle you see a puff of black smoke shoot out.. you are running VERY rich.. this is not very good...

you might want to try the following :

1. Reset the ECU, check the timming and idle

2. check the oxygen sensors with a multimeter.

3. clean the injectors/fule system

most of the time, running rich is caused by 02 sensors (oxygen sensor). I beleive there is one near the TB and another one on the c-pipe (exhaust manifold). As the sensors get old and dirty, they are less and less precise (outputed voltages are weaker or higher than supposed to be) and so the ECU does not know the *true* amount of oxygen going in and comming out of the motor, so it's fuel raito gets thrown off by imprecise readings. in your case, the sensor is telling the car's computer that there is more oxygen than there really is.. so the computer counters this by dumping more fuel. This extra fuel has no oxygen to burn with and so it shoots out the tail pipe as soot...

I hope this cleared up some of your questions ..

oh, btw .. the optimum Air/Fuel ratio for gasoline is about 16:1 (Air:fuel by volume) if the gasoline is vaporised (which it shold be if your injectors are working good)..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there a brand of that fuel injector cleaner that works better than the others. I have always viewed them at about the same level of a product as Snake oil or some cure all from the 30's

97 gsr

·
Registered
136 Posts
The quality of todays' fuel is very high, I changed the fuel filter on my 8 year old infiniti last summer and it was still very clean... So it is rare that your injectors will be gunked up like they show on TV infomercials unless someone is pouring crazy glue in your gas tank. So although I listed fuel system as a possible cause for running rich, I would be alot more likely to point to the two oxygen sensors or a ecu that is in need of a reboot rather than a cloged injector. To answer your question, I am doubtfull that the 3.99$ injector cleaner is any better than the .79$ injector cleaner. Either one should be able to give you a good idea if the injectors are what is causing the car to run rich. I have heard that injector cleaner is just a flamable detergent, but in all honesty I really don't know. I have heard of some shops offering an injector cleaner service that runs at about 50$. They claim that it is alot better than the bottled stuff, but I have a feeling that it is just really expensive snake oil.

BTW, a new O2 sensor would run you about 75$ (boch makes em) and it's pretty simple to install. If you have a helm's service manual for your car, it might be worthwile to see if there is a procedure for testing the O2 sensors. I know that for my old infiniti there was ways to test every senser with a multimeter (10$ at radioshack). Does anyone got a Helm's for the G3 teg?

Also, if the 02 sensor is failed (not working at all), the check engine light will go on...

·
Registered
378 Posts
White smoke, in regards to the coolant problem, will be VERY noticable all the time. It looks like a cloud, from the sky, is following you. It will always come out, not just when you get on it.

It is somewhat normal for a cloud of smoke to come out of any car if you do not "get on it" very often- I havce seen this on a lot of upper class cars, such as a mercedes 430 SUV just a few days ago on the freeway. They got on it, and poof, smoke for a second. Basically, it is the carbon buildups in the combustion chanbers coming out.

But What is your milage, etc. on the car? IF you are at 100K it is much diff than for say 30K and also are you modded in anyways? I know that turbos with bad seals do this all the time from the leaking burnt oil.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought I had mentioned it in the first post .. but the black smoke can also be a sign of a poor ignition system.. (i.e.: spark plugs, distributor, wires ..etc)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a gutted cat and in between shifts a puff of smoke is always seen...is that normal? and everytime I start the car smoke comes out, what could that be?

·
Registered
136 Posts
alot of car run rich between shifts ... the oxygen sensor is telling the ECU that there is a ton of air being moved into the motor, so the ECU opens the injectors and dumps a bunch of fuel. Then your foot comes off the gas pedal really quick (for your shift)and cuts off the supply of air to the motor (TB closes) but the ECU takes a second to realize (and re-adjust) that there is no more air going into the motor and so it keeps dumping gas into the motor for that split second.. since there was no air to mix with the fuel... the fuel does not burn properly and so you get a little puff of blackish smoke out your pipe ..

also, when you shift.. vacume is created in your exhaust..this sucks the thin layer of soot in your exhaust pipe out of the car.

Ususally the catalitic catches the stuff, but since you don't have a cat .. it is expected that you would see a puff of black smoke ...

the real problem is when you see smoke when your driving normally.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Please correct me if i say anything wrong here. I'm responding late to this because I just noticed that i'm having the smoke problem as well. I took it to a local Acura shop and they told me that it's normal for high redline cars to blow smoke because (can't remember the part) is moving so fast. Hence oil escaping. I use Mobil Synthetic oil. I have a DC sport header and an intake, but I have a stock exhaust. I only see the puff when i redline then shift.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Normal? Don't take it to that Acura shop anymore....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, that's a good suggestion. But do you have any reguarding the problem. I would love to hear what you guys/girls think.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Color of smoke?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I only notice it when the car is at "normal" operating temp. From what I notice, I'll drive normally till the car is at "normal" temp for warmed up. Then i'll punch the gas and notice the color smoke... it's a blueish/white smoke. I'm not really positive to tell you the truth. I'm driving :) kinda hard for me to see.

hope this helps you help me :)

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
White Smoke = Coolant is leaking into the engine. Prolly cause your block is cracked.

Black Smoke = Your car is running rich (to much fuel) and the half burn fuel hydrocarbons are being ejected out the tail. This is very bad for your Catalytic Converter.. and perormance

Blueish Smoke = Your car is buring oil. This is caused by the piston rings allowing oil to pass by into the combustion chamber or the valve seals are dryed/damaged.

That pretty much gives you the diagnosis for each color of smoke. This was all on page 1 as well...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts