Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did a search but didnt find anything

I was just wondering if there is a proper way to apply the ebrake..like lets say you put it into park, usually when u let go of the brake the car moves a bit, is it better to apply the ebrake after u let go of the brakes or before?

Thanks

·
Registered
930 Posts
okay, put the car in neutral while holding the foot brake, then set the e-brake and let off the foot brake, then you can either put it in park if it's an auto or reverse for manual for some extra security. The reason you should do it this way instead of putting it into park and then setting the e-brake is because when you do that the transmission is holding the car in place. Putting it in neutral and setting the e-brake will allow the e-brake to hold the car and eliminate unnecessary stress on the transmission. This stress is very minimal, but it doesn't hurt to try and take a little stress off the tranny.
-Sean

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well the reason you put on the ebrake before you step off of the brake pedal is because if you have and automatic and you put it in park on a really steep hill then the entire weight of the car is resting on the locking thing for park so when you try to get it out of park on that steep hill you have the entire weight of the car pushing against you and so you have to force it to get it out and thats not good on the gears and sh*t.

·
Registered
250 Posts
pyromantis03 on Feb/04/04 said:
okay, put the car in neutral while holding the foot brake, then set the e-brake and let off the foot brake, then you can either put it in park if it's an auto or reverse for manual for some extra security. The reason you should do it this way instead of putting it into park and then setting the e-brake is because when you do that the transmission is holding the car in place. Putting it in neutral and setting the e-brake will allow the e-brake to hold the car and eliminate unnecessary stress on the transmission. This stress is very minimal, but it doesn't hurt to try and take a little stress off the tranny.
-Sean
When i had my auto thats exactly how i did it

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
not on a teg.

·
Registered
948 Posts
TegYourIt on Feb/05/04 said:
what about pulling the e-brake in a manual transmission on ice to 'drift', whats the proper way , if there is one haha.
1) Hit the ice
2) Turn the wheel and apply the hand brake
3) Wheeeeeeeee!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm not sure if there is a proper way to wrench up on the E-brake on ice but I constantly use mine on the slippery corners of the road up and down from my local Ski hill...It saves my ass from flying into snow banks and other people! (no tread hahahaaaa!!) Please anyone teach me!!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
TegYourIt on Feb/05/04 said:
what about pulling the e-brake in a manual transmission on ice to 'drift', whats the proper way , if there is one haha.
NOT RECOMMENDED!
We don't want another wrecked teg.

But if you want to do it anyway be my guest. Just know a better way is to do it on a track using a method called "the pendulum drift". You do not touch the e-brake, rather you use weight transfer to do this. It is a fundamental rally technique and it is used by many Rally car drivers with the FWD layout. But this is another topic.

The emergency brake should be used for 2 purposes.

1)secure parking. follow the advice everyone has mentioned.

2) EMERGENCIES! the PROPER WAY:
scenario: say your front brakes cannot stop your car. The proper technique is to downshift to the Lowest gear possible without over revving the engine to allow for enginebraking. Then you SLOWLY lift the emergency brake up and apply even pressure at the same time applying even pressure on the brake pedal. Pull over and get some help. Obviously if your brakes fail why would you want to drive on it. the Emergency brake is a cable actuated manual override of the rear disc brake /drum if you have one

BTW, make sure to check your e-brake tension to ensure safety. e-brake tension article

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.