Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning to advance the timing on my teg today, i have a couple of questions. After reading a couple of articles, it was stated that i should advance the timing until i hear the pistons knocking and then retard 2 degrees. Will i be able to hear the pistons knocking loude enough? because my car makes so much knocking noises as is lol. Is there a better way to advance the timing without having to listen for knocking? What degree is too much?

·
Registered
296 Posts
What modifications have you done to the motor? You dont need to go past 18 btdc.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read the articles already. i am questioning a part of the article. No modifications done to the motor as of yet. Just a cold air and exhaust. I am going turbo in the future. The reason im going to advance the timing is ever since i put the distributor back on, the timing was never properly set. So i decided to advance it to get a little more power.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
JiGzAcuRa on Mar/22/04 said:
After reading a couple of articles, it was stated that i should advance the timing until i hear the pistons knocking and then retard 2 degrees.
Why don't you read OUR article on how to advance the timing (in the projects), and then let us know if you have any questions on doing it the right way. I'd just tell you, do it that way.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SurferX on Mar/22/04 said:
Quote: JiGzAcuRa on Mar/22/04After reading a couple of articles, it was stated that i should advance the timing until i hear the pistons knocking and then retard 2 degrees.
Actually i got this info from a website that was referred by MD in his advanced timing article here on TI. C-speedracing.com or something like that.

Why don't you read OUR article on how to advance the timing (in the projects), and then let us know if you have any questions on doing it the right way. I'd just tell you, do it that way.
actually i have printed the article from
TI and i read it, it shows me how to advance my timing but does not tell me how much i should advance my timing. This is my first time doing this so i have no idea at which degree i should set it to.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I stopped making power past 18 when dynoed in a bolt-ons only setup. No knock was audible past that, even with the distributor at full rotation. But there was really no need to keep it that high, since it wasn't doing anything but needlessly raising my cylinder pressures.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
JiGzAcuRa on Mar/22/04 said:
my car makes so much knocking noises as is lol.
Might want to take care of that problem before you do anything else to the car. Do not mod a car that is not in good shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts