Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, Dan (TheGSRGuy) brought up the idea of running the twin-pass Honda S2000 muffler on the Integra. Seemingly a good idea, he and I purchased the muffler system from a Honda-Tech guy. If I had his name, I would post it here-- anyway, he's a really nice guy with good contact and a gorgeous sale.

*EDIT* The guy's name I bought the muffler from is payyourtoll from Honda-tech.com.

I will post more details on the outcome when its installed. Should be installed tomorrow. =)

Now, on with the show.

The Muffler Itself:
The S2000 Muffler is a work of art. Twin-pass, it is the most quiet and most efficient of 3 different muffler styles. The inlet pipe is 2 inches, and the exit pipe is 2 inches. The marvellous chrome tip is 3.5 inches. The canister itself is approximately 13 Inches * 12 Inches * 8.5 Inches. (Compared to stock which runs approximately 13.5 Inches * 11 Inches * 8.5 Inches). It weighs in at approximately 19 pounds. (FedEx ground shipment weight including minor packaging.) I have no reference of the stock mufflers weight.

Background:
Seeing as how this beautiful piece of muffler is made for a high-powered roadster as a dual exhaust, one would assume a single muffler would be excellent for a lesser-powered sports car with a single exhaust. Also, the size of the muffler (which is made to fit two cans on a smaller chassis than a DC2) should be quite comfortable on the DC2's larger chassis.

Fitment:
I went to a local shop to have them look at it (note, I am not skilled at welding nor piping so I am leaving it to professionals.) While on the lift, the mechanic stated that the fitment would be fine and (to my surprise) there would be no rubbing on the subchassis with the canister. This had orignally worried me; the stock exhaust tip is offset to the left side of the Integra while the S2000's tip is straight in the middle. When they install, they will set the can slightly towards the back of the car and center the tip in the stock muffler cut-out.

While hangers will have to be custom fabricated to hold this beast, there is an ample amount of space for them to be hung from.

Installation:
While the muffler is being installed by the shop, I hope I can provide as much information to others as possible. I don't have a digital camera, but I will provide as much background as I can on the matter detailing the outcome.

The shop will custom bend a pipe to fit over the swaybar of my car. They will cut off the exhaust after the axle flange. This is easiest on them so they don't have to worry about the flange. I have no need for the stock exhaust and will probably sell the tip. (No need for a useless muffler unless someone wants to PM me to buy the cut muffler.) They will create piping to mimick the curve of the stock exhaust and weld it to the inlet of the muffler.

Differences in the 2 S2000 mufflers:

S2000 has 2 canisters, mirrored-copies of each other. Both inlets have piping entering the canister toward the center of the car. I received the passenger side canister and TheGSRGuy received the driver's side. Both should work fine. Remember, if you get either side, make sure you can pipe it from whichever side the piping enters. (Example, the passenger side pipe runs into the can from the left side of the can.) You may have to flip for your particular application which makes this next tidbit arise. The tip is located towards the bottom of the muffler, so flipping the canister upside-down to fit may make it harder to place the tip in a convenient location that won't melt your bumper.

*Note* The stock muffler is supported by two hangers located near the tip of the exhaust. The S2000 Muffler is supported by 2 hangers- one in the front and one in the back of the muffler.

PICTURES LOCATED HERE (IMAGESTATIoN ACCOUNT NECESSARY)

I'll hit y'all up later.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it installed today =)

Alright, after getting the other muffler off, I realized that the stock muffler is HEAVIER than the S2000 muffler. Not by much, but by a good 2-4 pounds. The inlet diameter from the S2000 muffler is identical to the inlet found on the stock muffler. I had the muffler welded on to my axle-back pipe. Now, the placement and location of it. The muffler sits fine where it is, the tip sits flush with the stock cutout-- Looks stock (but a good bit bigger tip.) The hangers were made by taking out the old hanger, adding in a weld-on hanger bracket into the rubber holes and then welding onto the muffler.

Sound:
Sounds identical to stock at idle, however, on throttle it has a *slight* growl. Quite quiet though. I may cut the resonator one day...

Performance:
I have no idea. Can't tell a difference and didn't expect to, but its better than stock. I'm not going to dyno (kinda late now eh?) :p

I wish I could get a picture, but its a very good fit and seems to be a natural fit in its new home ^_^.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a digital camera and don't think I could borrow one. However, it is not much to see. Just imagine the stock muffler with a 2.25 inch exhaust outlet and a 3-3.5 inch tip =)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using one muffler welded onto the axle of the stock GS exhaust system. The stock piping fits exactly with the muffler inlet. Really and truly, after seeing the install, it was almost as if the S2000 muffler was made for the Integra. ^_^

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The muffler is very quiet, almost identical to stock. But it has a lower tone, and I can hear it ever so softly on highway driving. I don't have VTEC obviously, but once you hit WOT with VTEC, your car is most likely going to make a good bit of noise. My guess not loud enough to be annoying, but loud enough to be heard and be cool.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
pics + sound clip = video clip!

I wonder what it does sound like too, possibly half an S2000.

J/K hope it all turns out good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.