Team Integra Forums banner

Project Oji-san: the lost love

6K views 45 replies 6 participants last post by  deesautohouse 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey TI!

It's been a while, I got a new name (not by choice) and met this Oji-san along the way. Hoping he'll be cool partner in life.

Well heres the start of an interesting tale, which hopefully doesn't end with same fate as my last companion.

Why do you even need paint

clean interior

Only a 104k, don't let this oji-san fool you, he's got plenty of years ahead (if its true lol).

See less See more
#5 ·
So not the most exciting post, but I bought these eBay floor mats and figured I'd show them off in case someone else was eyeing them.The fitment is actually perfect, but the color was a bit lighter grey than I was hoping. Maybe I should have just bought the cheaper black ones. :rolleyes:

5 piece set

No mats

With mats

Here's a pic of the back

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about your car. Back in 2003 my 1998 GSR was stolen over night from the parking lot. I literally dumped all my money in it before that happened. $12,000 cash was all gone since I didn't carry theft coverage through my insurance provider. The car was recovered the next day. Everything was missing (engine, transmission, pedals, calipers, ECU, speakers, seats, door panels, exhaust, wheels, brake rotors, shift linkage etc.). The car's exterior was vandalized with screw driver and a hammer. I purchased interior and wheels, to make the car look more complete, then sold it for $2,200 on Craigslist. So I feel your pain like no one else.

Regarding your last post. I had previously used Ebay floor mats. The problem with them is the rubber side tends to harden, crack. The front liners tend to move around a lot, often working their way up towards the dash board.

#7 · (Edited)
Oh man your story is almost the same as mine. They found it within 12 hours of the time I reported it. It was on the side of the road about 6 miles from where it was stolen and not much was left, it had 3 spares to role it (off a trailer I'm sure) with 2x4 for suspension. The only thing left on the car was the dash, which was sprayed with WD-40 to hide finger prints and the rear optional valances (which I sold). They even took the ****en glass if I remember. I couldn't even take a picture of the car bc it was so pathetic. The worst part is the partial sponsorship I got from Skunk2 right before it was stolen and I had just installed like 2-3k worth of parts on it. I was not in a good mind set for a while, but now that these cars are less popular it's very therapeutic (for me) to own another one.

#8 · (Edited)
So I'm excited today! Finally got my new tires mounted and balanced on some sweet OZ Crono HT wheels. I saw these wheels randomly on offerup like 2-3 months ago for just $200!!!! The pictures were horrible and made the wheels look like total ****, so I could see why they were still available after 2-3 months. But I'm a hustler and I'll take the risk if the deal seems worth it :p.

Also got some Extreme summer tires with a road force balance. FYI, this was the first time I heard about Road Force balancing, but it's very popular with higher end cars that come with low profile tires. They spin the tire on the wheel for initial balance which allows for less weights and grade the wheels for vibration. The wheel with the most vibration gets put furthest from the driver.

#9 · (Edited)
Meeeh been a while so I figured I'd make an update. Won't lie the Florida heat has been making it real hard to work on my car lol. So instead I was using it as my truck so I could finish remodeling my bedroom :p

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Vehicle door

Here are the before and after of bedroom that my little integra made possible.

Before:
Property Room Floor Flooring Building

Progress:

Finished:
Room Laminate flooring Floor Wood flooring Hardwood

Seriously, the integra is such a versatile car. I love it sooooo much..... Ok I promise I won't show any more pics of my integra hauling stuff for a little bit lol.

#10 · (Edited)
So I did manage to get a few things done, one issue I had since I purchased the car, was my wheel bearing going bad, so I went ahead and replaced that.

Took off my front knuckle:

Knocked out the bearing, managed to do everything without a press.... YEA FOR ******* MECHANICS!

Hammering out the the ball joint as well:

Installing new spindle

New ball joint going in

Yea done!

#11 · (Edited)
Integra transmission seal replacement

So catching up on my updates. The past 2-3 weeks have been dedicated to the integra, so stay tuned for lots of recent posts.

So I've been trying to get Oji-san healthy again and I noticed he's having a hard time controlling himself and has a few leaks.

I decided to replace the transmission axle seal and shifter rod seal before replacing the transmission fluid.

Started with draining the old fluid. The fluid was much more cleaner than expected and I had a good amount left.

Magically took off the axle and old seal and getting ready to put in the new one.

I hit around the edge of the new seal until is was flush with the transmission housing. You don't want to hit it deeper in.

Comparison of both transmission axle seals. The left seal is the passenger side and the right one is the driver side.

The final and third seal to the transmission is the shifter rod seal. It's a major pain to remove.

Got everything removed and started knocking in the new one with a large socket. Not much space to move under the car.

If you didn't know you can replace the fluid of your transmission from the top. You just remove that little rubber cap and pour inside.

With the funnel in place, I'm just watching the drain plug until fluid starts coming out. This is a lot easier than having to pump in the oil manually from below.

#12 · (Edited)
I'm back with lots of updates that I haven't showed.

So I decided to go a bit experimental for education/curiosity reasons. I have done a full suspension upgrade using some of the cheapest parts I've ever purchased LOL (guys don't BM me, I have plenty of money to go legit if I wanted to). BTW most of these mods have been done 3 months ago, so I'll post a review on whats good and what's bad on my next post.

Purchases:

shock assembly:
Generic ebay coilovers - $40
Eibach pro shocks(used but never installed) - $100
DNA extended tops hats - $56

other suspension components:
rdt upper camber arm & rear toe bar - $71
rdt rear camber arm - $25
emusa rear control arm, subframe brace, and sway tie brace - $90
emusa front lower control arm - $70

$452 total for every single suspension component possible .......LOL SO CHEAP!!!!!

Here are most of the parts lined up and I went ahead and assembled one coilover.

Getting the car up

OEM suspension

New suspension setup installed (notice the coilovers are a little short, sadly the ebay coilovers are only 6 inches and integras ideally need 7-8 inch long coilover springs)

Originally I wasn't going to buy any control arms, but sadly the bolts on the OEM braces literally welded themselves to the OEM shock assembly so I had no choice but to purchases new control arms.

bent the lower shock mount before that bolt would back out LOL

Finally got all the rear suspension components on, I hate when parts are seized.

Sooo after everything was done, I realized I had a few more parts that needed replacing...... Time for reinforcements!!!!

I ended up need all new tie rods (inner and outer), new boots, and trailing arm bushings (they were shot).

Moog parts - $129

Sadly I haven't taken pictures of these yet bc I actually didn't install them. I was tired guys lol.

AFTER everything was done and installed, Here is the first picture of Oji-san with his new wheels finally mounted on. Looking like a smooth oldskool gansta (show some respect).

#13 ·
BTW I didn't install all the parts mentioned in my price breakdown. I still need to install the rear subframe brace and front lower control arm. I simply didn't see the point of adding those quite yet..... but those are happening VERY SOON.

#14 ·
Welp I've been driving the integra daily since I got it bc I was working on a few projects. Well today it semi-left me stranded. I was driving normally on a nice 100+ degree Florida day and my car SHUT OFF.

I was able to crank it, but once I stop twisting the key, it just shuts off. I managed to drive home with one hand holding the key on and shifting and steering with my other hand lol. Luckily I didn't have far to go.

I think the issue is the either the distributor ICM / Igniter or ignition coil, but not sure if it could be something else.

Anyone have an idea on what it could be? I'm going to try and test parts later today, but I went ahead and ordered new ones already.

#18 · (Edited)
Integra ignition switch replacement

Yea so you were kind of right. It ended up being the ignition switch, which is part of the ignition cylinder assembly. Now I realize how these cars were so easy to steal. I could steal my car with just a phillips screwdriver and not damage anything......:eek:

Just in case someone else has this issue, here is a micro DIY.

Issue: Car shuts off when I let go of the key. (after the car is started)
Fix: Replace the ignition switch

Here is the problem child (white part, which I've unscrewed from the socket.)

Need to transfer the two blue wires to the new assembly, since it doesn't come with it.

AS you see the harness just plugs into the inside fuse box (two brown plugs). I left everything loose for testing before I tucked the wires away.

IT RUNS AGAIN!!!

btw RIP old plug. The pin wouldn't come out with any tool, so I hacked it.

#17 · (Edited)
I think it's just you. Every post I made on the first page has like 10 pictures lol. I have TONS of photos, but if nobody else can see it then PLEASE LMK. I'll figure out a way to fix it I guess.

edit:
AHHHHH....... I just realized all of my google photos aren't showing!!!!
:eek:

I checked out my posts in incognito and nothing shows...... I need to figure out how to make the photos public. :frown:

BTW..... I added my photos to my domain and now it says I stole these images from another site lol. **** just doesn't want me to share photos I guess. THis is getting a bit annoying.

Final edit:
TY for pointing this out, I would have died if I had redo 100+ photos, this already took over an hour finding a hosting that could link photo urls without this forum thinking I stole the photos.

#19 ·
Whats up guys, Soooo I need help making a decision!

I'm going to remove the ebay coilovers (as if that wasn't assumed to everyone already) lol. I had actually already ordered the swift springs, but got the wrong size.... so I'm returning them and now I'm having conflicting thoughts on my suspension setup.

SOOO......

I don't know if I want to purchase swift springs to put on the eibach shocks or if I should go for a full one piece coilover system (tien flex z).

I've had full one piece coilovers on every car I've owned and honestly I love them, but I was attempting to try something new by building my own spec suspension with swift springs. Opinions are welcomed!!!

#22 ·
Integra compression test b18b1

I did a compression test today. I'm thinking about bringing Oji-san to a track day sometime in the near future and wanted to make sure the engine wasn't going to fall apart on me. No freak engine, but the results were nice and even across the board. Although I do have a lot of oil in the spark plug wells, which makes me think I need to replace those little circle spark plug gaskets. I did them just a few months ago with a knock off brand, but I guess I need to go OEM honda, bc the knock off one clearly didn't work.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, to do the compression test just remove the 15 amp fuel pump fuse in the engine bay and unplug the distributor plug as you see in picture. The only thing you want running is the starter. Next remove the spark plug from the cylinder your testing and then insert the compression tool. Crank the engine a few times and check the compression gauge. Once your done, replace the spark plug and move onto the next one.

Compression test results:
1995 integra rs b18b1:

Cylinder 1: 140
Cylinder 2: 145
Cylinder 3: 150
Cylinder 4: 140

#24 ·
uhhhhhh so I kind of died, but I'm BACK!!!! AND I have tons of content to share lol.

So to start this **** off, I present you BRAND NEW used door handles....... y e a.

First I had to pop out the old ones. YOu need to remove the inner door card to get all the scews from behind. The space wasn't to bad, but you do need to use 1/4 sockets or your tools won't fit.

I'm transfering the locks from the old one to the new one. It was super easy! I noticed these new handles have power locks, but RS doesn't have power locks so I just never plugged them in.

I kind of ****ed up the paint on the driver side and then scuffed the **** out of it during install, but I don't really care since the rest of my car already looks ****ty lol.

#25 ·
Ok ok ok..... Here is the real exciting stuff! BRAND NEW TEIN COILOVERS!!!! WOOOOOOO

Yea so I kind of gave up on upgrading my springs to Swift springs adventure due to the cost getting closer to an all in one system, so I said F*ck it and went for some big papa TEIN FLEX Z coilovers.

car back up in its natural stance of hovering in the air for more installs

Comparison shot, unfortunately this doesn't really represent how big of a difference the coilovers felt. The Tein feel noticeably heavier and everything from the collars and springs feel thicker and way more beefy! The Tein felt like quality all around.

Front installed!

Showing off the damping ability. I though it was just 16 way adjustable at first but it was actually 32 way adjustable which I'm not a fan of actually. I prefer less clicks that offer larger changes in each click. Nobody needs 32ways of adjustment. I barely feel a difference between 1-5 clicks. On that note it does drastically change the feel through out the range. I can't imagine driving anything high than 15 clicks on public road without your back breaking.

Rear install... Yes yes yes.... I know... I need to cut my grass

rear top mount area. You just remove the rubber cap to adjust damping on the TOP part as well.

So now that I've been driving on these for 4ish months, I can say I do love them and they hold up great with no leaks. Right now the roads in my area are total ****, so I have adjusted only 5 clicks in the front and 7 clicks in the rear. They soak up most of the bumps, but I will say these are noticeably stiffer due to the hardcore 10k springs up front and 7k rear. That's a lot for such a light weight car. I sort of wish I had 8k front and 6k rear but I'm not complaining. Overall these coilovers are great!

Stay tuned for more posts. I have a backlog I need to catch up on, but no reason to spit it out all at once lol.

#26 ·
Ok ok.... finally had time to grab some more images.

Todays install is the Emusa subframe brace and Tie bar. Also the PQY Racing sway bar (aka VR racing, LZ one, Hypertune, WLRracing, .... I think I got them all).

The china sway bar is 24mm and beefy AF. It came with endlinks with spacers/tapers, swaybar bushings with beefy brackets (btw the bushings sucked)

Azz back up...... What are those two suspension bars on the outside??? hmmmm just have to wait and see.

OEM setup.... Looking pathetic AF.

Naked!

Oem next to the China bar

Installed the Emusa subframe brace. It was a bit of a PITA due to back brackets lining up. Word of advice.... Keep everything loose until you get all the bolts on. Then tighten it all up.

Emusa Tie bar on.... Honestly this felt super pointless.... But it came with the kit and I needed those hot boi points.

Bam like magic the MASSIVE rear sway bar is on! I have to say I love this PQY, VR racing, LZ one, Hypertune, WLRracing sway bar lol.

Tried some angles so you can see how all the components look

Attachments

#27 ·
Continuation........

The endlinks they provide are actually super nice!!! Except the bolts were way to long and had the incorrect thread pitch for the rear lower control arm. So I did have to buy new bolts and nuts. Also note, the tapered spacers were a real nice touch and allow the endlinks to fully swivel if they need to.

Last but not least is the measurement. A perfect 24mm thick, solid, hard and black.......piece of metal.

#28 ·
ONE mORE PoSt!!!!! (scratches neck....)

Ok so like I said at the beginning of the previous install, the PQY swaybar bushings/brackets were total Sh*t and kept pooping off, so I used that prime access to replace them stat.

I ended up buying the Prothane polyurethane bushings with greased brackets. I really like the idea behind grease cap.

Bam installed and looking even sexier than before!

Lastly..... This is the garbage that kept coming off. The brackets only a retaining edge on one side, so the idea is it should always keep pressure against that edge. Well that **** didn't work clearly.

Ok more posts to come this weekend!

#30 ·
It is and feels great. I had to turn down the damping of the rear shocks a little more, bc the sway bar stiffened up the the rear so much. I really can't wait till I get to chance to get this bad boy on the track. I just need to clean up a few leaks so it passes inspection.

#31 ·
Remember those extra control arms I didn't install in the previous post. Ok so I've had a few failures along the way of making a budget build, but this is by far the worst product I've come across.

I was thinking I could just replace the bushings by purchasing these aluminum front lower control arms, but the sleeves swivel, so you can NEVER torque the bolt down. I spent about an hour trying different ways to prevent it from swiveling while I torqued the nut on and said f*ck it at the end of the day. In this case nothing beats OEM.

DO NOT BUY EMUSA FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARMS.

#32 · (Edited)
Integra 4 lug type-r brake conversion

On a lighter note, I got type-r brakes :). I couldn't find all the pictures, but if I do I'll post them up. I also installed some nice Goodridge SS brake lines too.

THIS IS THE BEST MOD YOU CAN DO TO YOUR CAR!!! These brakes stop better than most sports cars I've driven.

Also some misconceptions I've seen in other threads. You do not need GSR/Type-R brake booster/master cylinder. Simply bleed these all the way till new fluid shows (Full flush bleed) and brake them in. It took me 2 days to fully bed these pads into the rotor, but once they were broken in the pedal feed back and stopping power was insane!!!

If anyone is wondering these are the parts I used:
  1. 2009-2013 mini cooper BASE brakes rotors (Do no buy type S or convertible rotors)
  2. ITR calipers (aka odyssey, prelude, cl tl, cr-v front brake calipers)
  3. 04-08 TSX brake pads for the extra surface. (You can just use stock type-r pads if you want)
  4. Goodridge Stainless steel brake lined for integra
Before picture:

After Picture:

Parts list and cost break down

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.