Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night I installed Tokico Illuminas and set them at level 3 front and rear. Today I decided to push the car a little bit (don't worry, private road). I took a long 90º right-hand turn at about 60-65mph. Part way through the turn the rear tires broke loose a little bit (with the front wheel still turned) and when they gained grip again the car launched into the turn. I was able to maintain control of the car, but I was shocked that the rear tires broke loose so easily... The car didn't do this before the shocks.

I thought the stiffer springs in front and the softer springs in the rear would lead to understeer and maintain rear grip in the tires. Do I have the shocks set too stiff for the springs in the rear?

Also, I had the car aligned after the shocks were installed. The camber in the front is -1.7L/-1.8R. I'm fine with that, but I have a problem with the rear... -.5L/-1.4R. I'm wondering if the difference in rear camber is what's causing the problems. The car seems to be lowered evenly all the way around (about a one figner gap), so I don't know why it's so far off. What's the best way to go about fixing this (camber kit, washer trick...)? I don't mind negative camber, I just want it to be equal from side to side.

The car is a 2000 LS with Ground Control coilovers (the standard 380F/250Rish spring rates), front and rear strut bars, rear tie bar (I know, the bars just make the chassis stiffer and don't affect oversteer/understeer), stock swaybars (for now), and 205/40/17 Yokohama Parada Spec-2's

I've read through the articles and now I'm kinda stuck. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Yes the washer trick is the best/inexsensive way to go about the rear camber.
There is no way to judge what happened without being there. It is very easy to tune out just about all understeer in our cars...as most people don't know.
Anytime you do suspension upgrades the car will react differently than before. So this is just up to you getting used to driving the "new" car.
Yes, generaly if you stiffen up the rear shocks, it will induce oversteer more...depending on your driving style. I hope this helps.

Yes the camber has an effect on the under or oversteer of the car. Whether there the same or not.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the stiffness of the rear shocks again today. one was at 4 and the other was at 5. I never touched them... but I'm sure that played a role in it as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
one of the people I talked to about the camber thought my rear lca was bent. I haven't had the time to look yet, but it's definately a possibility. my brother had my car before me and I know he beat on it a lot.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Yeah, that's a big differance from one side to the other.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Keep in mind that you were driving a car essentially incapable of oversteer. Stiffer suspension now means you're car can actually rotate. From a performance standpoint, this is good, from an inexperienced driver standpoint, this can be very bad. You're rear-end may have been looser due to bad settings, but with upgraded suspension, you will be able to induce oversteer, especially if you're lifting of the throttle mid turn.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I'm looking at it from an inexperienced driver's standpoint. lol. I'd rather keep the car stable and not have to worry about the tires giving out

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
If you want all you can get from your car...go to your nearest autocross or track day events. That's the best way to find out what your car actually does when you pull the wheel one way and brake hard at the same time, start sliding and use your brakes instead of accelerating, etc, etc.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd love to get into autocrossing, but I can't afford a third set of wheels and tires for the track (already have 17's for summer and the ls meshies for winter). the 17's are too heavy and the snow tires don't grip.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I ran my 17's for a while in autocrosses...just do it! When your new at it, it's more important that you go out as opposed to going out with the best stuff.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Id much rather the rear go loose then the front, its much easier to regain control/start a controlled slide with the rear, if the front completely breaks loose, there isnt always something you can do to save from completely losing control.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Lift the throttle.

Here is the site for your general area. If you need any more help...just call.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Theres phone #'s on there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah... I was shocked that I maintainted control having never experienced it before. I'm definately going to look into autocrossing this summer. it'll help me learn the limits of the car and play around a little bit.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I took my first real slide in my car today... it was an understeering and i will say i hated it! I have been in oversteering situations in the passenger seat, and i have peeled out in rear wheel drive cars.. yes it is more difficult to correct but at least your steering wheel still does something! I really HATED the feel of my front tires giving out and all steering ability disappearing, i am DEFINITELY going to set my car for oversteer when i get my suspension and just get used to it (autox etc.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts